League 2 Playoffs : Torquay United vs Shrewsbury Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:That was as good a display of dominance over a side as we've seen all season. On our day that is exactly what we are capable of and must have impressed those watching fans of that MASSIVE club in Bristol. How they must dream of being able to play like that :)

I thought Tomlin, Zebs and Branston were outstanding, all the others put in a real shift too. It was fantastic to watch and the atmosphere was superb all game, save for a few silly moments but I'll refer to those in another thread.

I thought the ref was as good as we've seen all season and he let the game flow which was a credit to him and the players of both sides.

Nicky Wroe? What happened?

Perhaps those missing Shrews fans who were saving their cash for Old Trafford should have supported their club by attending yesterday, their decision might come back to haunt them, at the very least they missed their chance to inspire their side instead of settling for the armchair, poor support for a club that can take such huge numbers to Wembley. Let's show them how it's done on friday.

One last thing in response to Nick and his "yobs" comment. As I was walking back along the Pop I saw countless people of a much more elderly status entering the pitch. It wasn't a group of yobs running on, it was a mix of young and old and the stewards did nothing to stop it, I don't agree with it, it's against the law to access the pitch and if the club were serious then they should identify those responsible and prosecute them, that would put a stop to it.
Regarding the ref, yep he was the best I've seen for a while. Did well as I can't recall any bookings, kept the game going.

Nicky Wroe - I was expecting him to get a better reception if I'm honest, but I did laugh at the song that was sung on the half way line.

With your final point, I very much assumed that it would be teenagers going on the pitch again, like Chesterfield. I had to go seconds after the whistle so I didn't see any of the older people go on. It is disappointing though.

Totally different topic, I'm going to aim to get Fridays thread up nice and early, so look out for it. :~D
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

What a great advert for League 2 football. No serious fouls. No diving. No yellow cards. Excellent referee., Credit must go to Shrewsbury also for not losing their heads when behind. A breath of fresh air after watching Premier football which I do only occasionally.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

How good was Tomlin? One of the best individual displays I've seen this season. Combined really well with Zebs and was very unselfish. Unlike Robinson, who was shooting a little too much for my liking and was too desperate to prove a point.

Branston and Robbo were excellent at the back, Mansell remains the weak link in defence (excluding Bevs whose confidence looks shattered) and misses Zebs in front of him. My biggest worry was the centre of midfield, but Lathrope played well and O'Kane was outstanding. Passed the ball really well and was far superior to Wroe who has a habit of hiding when things aren't going his way. That said, he didn't deserve the jeers.

Still unconvinced with Kee out wide, but I wouldn't change anything for the second leg. Got a text from a Norwich-supporting mate after the match. Not to congratulate us on the result, but to say, "How cool does Hargreaves look?"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fanstastic peformance which did not suprise me,saw the players on Monday and they were looking relaxed,and out of the play-off campaign's our clubs been through this is the first time i have ever seen the club as a whole so calm and at peace with itself,2.0 at the half way point is not job done,it is going to take a mamouth effort up there from our team,as i expect they will throw the kitchen sink at us,however the team will get chance's only need bury one and i think its Old Trafford here we come.

Agree on the refree we have had some real shockers this season,this lad was evry good lots of 50/50 fouls on both sides he could have blown up for and did not,let the game flow,and it was a good advert for football at our level,
Formerly known as forevertufc
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Have to agree with Tommyg regarding Kee's placement on the right-wing, i'm not sure if he is best-suited to that role. But i can see why Buckle might have chosen him there. As we continue to attack, Kee is actually happy to get stuck in and try and retain posession for the side, so while he might not be a dribbling threat to a full-back he will keep the ball and show some grit in that midfield and perhaps help out Manse at RB. Also, it could be said he's a goal threat being as he is actually a striker, and i would back him to hit the target if the ball finds his feet in and around the box. ALthough, in my honest opinion i think we would have to be looking at trying to get a decent wide-midfielder in in the summer if we are going to continue to play this kind of flowing formation.

No-doubt that Kee will be a killer striker in the future, will definitely be a big part of the future.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We all know Kee is no winger but I think Buckle has him there in the hope he can produce what he did at San Sixfields from that position.

Can't see him tracking back to help Manse out though, he'd never make it :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Enjoyed the game. Didn't think we were at our best, but considering the occasion, it was a professional performance. Defensively we looked solid (apart from Bevs brainstorm), and the fornt two worked thier back 4 hard. If i was offered 2-0 at kick-off i'd have happily accepted that, but at half-time was confident we'd get more. Really disappointed with the attendance. Reduced capacity or not, there was room for plenty more than were there. I do despair of this town at times, and i'm sure the board do too. Does the town even want or care if we have a successful football team? 4,100 for a Play-Off semi is frankly embarassing. As for the kids coming onto the pitch at the end? What can be said. The players deserved a proper send-off for their efforts over the season, but were thwarted by the usual idiots.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Shane, if Shrewsbury had sold their entire allocation we would have been very close to capacity, remember there are various reductions at the moment, not helped by Sky taking 300 out of the equation.
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I've heard this suggested Dave. If Shrewsbury had sold their allocation, the attendance would have been 4,500? Our 'optimum' capacity is 6,100 i think? Is our current capacity really reduced by 1,600 (even with Sky's '300' taken into account)?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

No, incorrect. Capacity is around 5000 with the sky cameras. Add another 600 Shrews and we were just a few hundred below capacity.
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Ok. Still think for a game like this, there should have been people turned away at the turnstiles due to being full. When the capacity is that small, it ought to have been a sell-out surely? I just don't understand what people want?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think most of us were expecting that although I was surprised at how many people I know who didn't make the trip. I even ended up going down there by myself. Still, those that were there got right behind the team and taking a 2 nil lead is more than we could have hoped for prior to the game.
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Yeah appreciate certain people aren't able to attend every game, due to the travel involved. But if we can't find 4,000 people in Torbay interested in a game like that, it doesn't bode well.

As you say, most important aspects of the night were the performance and the result though, and both were good.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Great performance, good result. Passing got a bit sloppy towards the end, lumping balls forward rather than giving it to feet which is how our forward players caused most of their problems. I expect there was an element of tiredness, but I just hope we're not made to pay for not scoring more when we were on top.

One other gripe I had was with returning the ball to Nicho after he'd taken a corner - several times it was headed away, dropped to a midfielder outside the box (usually Lathrope), and then looped back to Nicho, giving him little chance to do anything with it, whereas a crisper pass would've given us another good opportunity. I'm not trying to single out anyone for criticism, everyone's overall performance was good, but just a minor grievance I had in my desire for Torquay perfection.

I liked the more orthodox 4-4-2, I felt it gave our midfield more shape, more of an outlet up front, and everyone knew where they were supposed to be. Personally I might've switched Zeb to the wing and pushed Billy up front, especially as I could picture him being on the end of one of the balls that trickled across their 6 yard box, but it's hard to argue with success.

With regards to some individual players, best performance I've seen from Tomlin so far, looked very dangerous and if he can keep that up I'd love to sign him permanently. I felt Billy Kee did a good job for the team despite being out of position. Zebs didn't look as dangerous as he can, but worked his socks off and scored a goal. Branston solid as ever and even played an incisive pass to set up a chance for Jake.

More of the same on Friday please.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'd like to see that kee/zebs switch made too, billys wasted out there on the vain hope that he piles one in from distance, zebs makes a far better winger, and dare i say it, is probably a tad fitter the mr kee!! but hey, its working so who are we to question what our genius of a manager comes up with!!
still keeping the faith