League 2 Playoffs : Torquay United vs Shrewsbury Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Watched on sky and just got round to posting. we battered them today and should really have put the tie to bed by grabbing a third. That said i would have bitten your arm off for a 2 goal advantage going into the away leg. The lads were awesome today and it made up for putting in a shocker in front of 657 away fans at the don valley last saturday.today i though we worked tirelessly from back to front and the only blip was the heart attack moment when a backpass to bevan saw him spoon it to a shrew who cocked it up. phew. I think we can score at shrewsbury on friday so they will need to score at least three. We need to keep it tight anyway and put in another shift. Really proud to be a gull tonight and i couldn't help feel a little sympathy for all those travelling shrews who must have wondered why they had even bothered when their team were just shite. ( We made them look shite by our performance but they didn't really need any help! ). COYY!! See u all at the new meadow on friday!!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

tommygull wrote:I don't want to play devils advocate too much but I would like to highlight one point. Anyone who was at Rotherham will back this point up I would hope. Tomlin has had 1 good game, and I admit he was good today- not amazing but good- he has played a very mediocre game over the past 3 or 4 games and this doesn't change anything. He performed well at home with a large following but when it comes down to it he doesn't give consistant performances and often is atrocious. There seem to be alot of fickle fans who are suddenly claiming he is the best thing to grace the grass at Plainmoor- we went through this with Carayol remember.
He was also excellent against Chesterfield. Whilst I cannot disagree that he was woeful at Rotherham he was not exactly alone.

Anyways I make that two good performances from the last three and he is a shoe in starter for next Friday, ........ and God willing Old Trafford.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Ok I'm being harsh. He isn't that bad! I'm just recovering from Roth. I will stop playing devils advocate. Hoping he can keep it up on friday!
COYY!!
:( Tommy :)
gullsonmyroof2
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: branston

Post by gullsonmyroof2 »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:you sad twats that couldnt stay off the pitch

Kids i can understand but grown men and women running on the pitch like we were already at old trafford

GROW UP YOU SAD PEOPLE
who you calling sad cyber warrior :devil:
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

ffs what harm has bn done,sop spoiling a great night,our boys did us proud,just harmless fun
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I have to agree with Tommy lets not put our blinkers on. Tomlin has shown his skill as have the whole team but if he had performed as he did tonight (along with a few others) perhaps we'd be up by now. But the play offs provides a little extra cash!
highweekgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by highweekgull »

What is this palaver about going on the pitch - we always celebrate the end of a good season at home (not success in this tie) by going on the pitch, having a bit of camaraderie and enjoying the early summer sun

I'm sorry I am at a complete loss here

We've had a great result, two more to go and the hopefully the rest of you can cheer up and celebrate too

Come on you gulls!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by eastyorksgull »

HRG wrote:I have to agree with Tommy lets not put our blinkers on. Tomlin has shown his skill as have the whole team but if he had performed as he did tonight (along with a few others) perhaps we'd be up by now. But the play offs provides a little extra cash!
what a load of rubbish hrg,we have had a great season,alot on here would have bn more than happy with a playoff spot,its easy to critise the performance from other games,but end of the day the lad TOMLIN had a great game,and yeah put himself in the shop window,but as a unit we as a team showed what sort of football we can play,am very proud to be a gull just you pessimists piss me off even when we play well,we are a little club with a big heart and not every player has a good game all the time,but when it mattered infront of a tv audience they performed
chafford100gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: kevin nicholson

Post by chafford100gull »

eastyorksgull wrote: what a load of rubbish hrg,we have had a great season,alot on here would have bn more than happy with a playoff spot,its easy to critise the performance from other games,but end of the day the lad TOMLIN had a great game,and yeah put himself in the shop window,but as a unit we as a team showed what sort of football we can play,am very proud to be a gull just you pessimists piss me off even when we play well,we are a little club with a big heart and not every player has a good game all the time,but when it mattered infront of a tv audience they performed
too true...i think we would've all taken the result before kick off..so roll on friday..come on you gulls !!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just watching the highlights now on sky! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Manse on Twitter wasn't impressed with the "pitch invasion" (didn't look that bad on the TV), as he said it stopped the players from showing their appreciation....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

scottbrehaut wrote:Manse on Twitter wasn't impressed with the "pitch invasion" (didn't look that bad on the TV), as he said it stopped the players from showing their appreciation....
Nail, head, hit

'manse7 Lee Mansell
Shame a certain few came on to the pitch at the end the boys wanted to say thanks to all the fans support this season at home !'
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by eastyorksgull »

good morning to you all,watched the highlights again earlier,what a plonker turner,saying torquay cant play any better
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

It is pathetic. Just because it's the last home game for 3 months, doesn't mean to say that a few yobs can run on the pitch. As Mansell says, it stops the players doing a lap of honour/clapping all the fans.

I had to leave as soon as possible so I only saw the first two lads go on the pitch; how many more did go on?

As for the game, Zebroski and Tomlin were brilliant, I think Kee was the weak link and maybe could have come off earlier, but that could be down to the fact that he is not a winger, yet Buckle insists playing him there..

Really looking forward to Friday now, although looking at my ticket, I'm going to have to try and move from my seat I have as it's right at the front, I think!

Yelllllllllowwws!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

That was as good a display of dominance over a side as we've seen all season. On our day that is exactly what we are capable of and must have impressed those watching fans of that MASSIVE club in Bristol. How they must dream of being able to play like that :)

I thought Tomlin, Zebs and Branston were outstanding, all the others put in a real shift too. It was fantastic to watch and the atmosphere was superb all game, save for a few silly moments but I'll refer to those in another thread.

I thought the ref was as good as we've seen all season and he let the game flow which was a credit to him and the players of both sides.

Nicky Wroe? What happened?

Perhaps those missing Shrews fans who were saving their cash for Old Trafford should have supported their club by attending yesterday, their decision might come back to haunt them, at the very least they missed their chance to inspire their side instead of settling for the armchair, poor support for a club that can take such huge numbers to Wembley. Let's show them how it's done on friday.

One last thing in response to Nick and his "yobs" comment. As I was walking back along the Pop I saw countless people of a much more elderly status entering the pitch. It wasn't a group of yobs running on, it was a mix of young and old and the stewards did nothing to stop it, I don't agree with it, it's against the law to access the pitch and if the club were serious then they should identify those responsible and prosecute them, that would put a stop to it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com