League 2 Playoffs : Torquay United vs Shrewsbury Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Eastyorksgull, my blinkers comment wasn't in reference to the season we've had as I'm a very happy Gull right now it was specific to Tomlin and whether or not we'd sign him up. I don't think we should rush to sign him based on this game alone although he was fantastic last night there are other games in which he has made a few errors. I'd like a little more consistency from him and Robinson. They both upped their games when it was needed but if both played like that consistently throughout their time here we wouldn't have had to wait until the last day of the season to get our play off spot.
It isn't all up to them though, Bevan had a wobble and seemed to lose confidence, we've thrown away leads and lets not forget how many times we've hit the accursed woodwork.
But I'm happy with the season we've had, it's been so unexpected and I'm very much looking forward to Friday. We have a good squad which with a couple of additions could be excellent and some promising youngsters. Having looked back at my previous post it does appear a little off. I'm not being pessimistic at all, I don't see how anyone could be with the season we've had, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much, we're still only half way. If we play on Friday like we did yesterday then I think we could edge it, I'm feeling hopeful.
I've found myself a comfy spot on a fence until our season is over!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We're going to be in for one hell of a battle. Shrewsbury will throw everything at us and their fans will roar them on (they were awful at the league game up there though).

As Torquay fans we all know how we wouldn't be ourselves without making things hard for us so I'm preparing myself for a nailbiting affair up there, can't wait.

COYY !!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Must echo everyone else who was there, what a fantastic performance. Would have liked a third as I thought 3-0 would have probably sent us to Manchester, but if you'd have offered me a 2-0 lead going into the second leg, I would have bitten your hands off. If you were a neutral, you would have said that we were the team who finished in 4th place, not Shrewsbury.

Great atmosphere from the Torquay crowd. Wished we could have had awayday on the drums, but great effort from everyone there.

Tomlin was immense, as was Branston and Zebs, who I marked out as contenders for MOTM.

If we score first next friday, I believe that will be enough. I think that we will draw the second leg 1-1. A goal should be enough.

Nice to meet forevertufc as well as SG again. Have you seen our second goal yet SG? :~D :goal: :lol:
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Is Paul going to Shrewsbury, Dave?

Lets make as much noise as we can up there! Can see 800+ going up for it, so lets turn it into a home game for the lads!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Yes mate, I got our tickets yesterday, 3 of us going from Southampton.
Dave

YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

I was impressed with everyone yesterday, really proud and I couldnt have really picked a man of the match, cant be bothered to write an essay, but I will say when I seen kee on the wing I was thinking of the worst, but he looked competent yesterday, in fact better than that, got back and defended well and was pinging balls to Robinson constantly, thought he played really well for someone of his build and style. No-one played bad yesterday, just hope we play for the win at shrewsbury and not the draw.
Hazbo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robinson

Post by Hazbo »

NickGull wrote:Is Paul going to Shrewsbury, Dave?

Lets make as much noise as we can up there! Can see 800+ going up for it, so lets turn it into a home game for the lads!

You'll have to bring a few more than that then to turn it into a home game, Its heading for a 8,000 home sell out even after the thrapping you gave us.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

It doesn't matter Haribo, 8 fans, 800 fans, 8,000 fans, 88,000 fans, if your back 4 especially Grandison put in the same level of performance as last night then there won't be too much to shout about at all.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

I remember 400 Torquay fans making all the noise at Molineux when there were over 22000 Wolves fans there, good times.
ShrewsFan
New Signing
New Signing

Post by ShrewsFan »

Well played Torquay, you just seem to have the wood over us. Not sure why we didn't bring more, but oh well. Impressed with the attacking side full of pace Buckle picks. We haven't given a proper account of ourselves against Torquay this season, so it's going to be a tough ask to suddenly pull a 2 or 3 goal win from somewhere, but we'll give it a good go and if we take the lead it could be a cracking match, I can't see you not scoring so we'll probably need 3 at least. Our defence is massivly weakened by Sharps, who's rated as very unlikely to be fit for Friday, and Raven, who missed our last 2 games, and the previous one at Plainmoor. He might be fit on Friday, but it's the wrong time to have defensive problems. Anyway, congrats on the deserved two goal win and performance, but there's plenty of football left to be played.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

What a pleasure to read the posts from Shrews fans after the recent invasion of Gasheads.

It's definitely far from over but we have a lead and knowing Buckle he'll tell them to go out and do exactly the same thing again.

Should be an eventful night, may the best team emerge victorious and go on to win a place in League 1.
Dave

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Have to say I agree entirely with the final line.

If the Gulls can't go up then I sure as hell hope it's the Shrews. Can't stand Stevenage and their crook of a manager and Accrington are only in the playoffs because their pitch is so crap nobody can actually play on it.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

anyone got any highlight links?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Hazbo
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hazbo »

Boom Boom wrote:It doesn't matter Haribo, 8 fans, 800 fans, 8,000 fans, 88,000 fans, if your back 4 especially Grandison put in the same level of performance as last night then there won't be too much to shout about at all.
Yea, thats what we are all a bit worried about! Without Sharps were a different team. Anyway, regardless of who brings what, here's to a great game of League 2 football and may the best team win :-D
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ShrewsFan wrote:Well played Torquay, you just seem to have the wood over us. Not sure why we didn't bring more, but oh well. Impressed with the attacking side full of pace Buckle picks. We haven't given a proper account of ourselves against Torquay this season, so it's going to be a tough ask to suddenly pull a 2 or 3 goal win from somewhere, but we'll give it a good go and if we take the lead it could be a cracking match, I can't see you not scoring so we'll probably need 3 at least. Our defence is massivly weakened by Sharps, who's rated as very unlikely to be fit for Friday, and Raven, who missed our last 2 games, and the previous one at Plainmoor. He might be fit on Friday, but it's the wrong time to have defensive problems. Anyway, congrats on the deserved two goal win and performance, but there's plenty of football left to be played.
According to our local paper, Sharps has a suspected hernia problem? If thats right then I can't see him taking part on Friday.

Your defence seemed to go a bit pearshaped after he went off, although I'm still not going to get carried away yet. An early goal for you guys on Friday and I'll be bricking it..

Still, cannot wait.