League 2: Rotherham United vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Hopefully SNW, you'll have a couple of games to watch in Tyke Land next season, but not at the Don or Dumb Valley stadiums. ;-)

fingers crossed mate, fingers crossed.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
fingers crossed mate, fingers crossed.

While on the subject of South Yorkshire, how did Askern Villa do this season ?

I see the Miners Welfare Social Club is still there. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Never felt so many emotions before in 90 minutes. Was unbearable at times in the second half. If we go on and get promotion then the Chesterfield XI will join Shane Duff and Dave Bamber on my Christmas card list. It really is a magnificent achievement and the club have exceeded all expectations this season. We've certainly limped over the line and a helping hand from others, but to finish in the play-offs is quite remarkable.

As for the game, it was the worst performance I can remember this season. We were utterly dreadful. The pitch was quite bobbly, but that can be no excuse. The scoreline certainly didn't flatter our opponents who will probably be wondering how the heck we still have a shot at League One football next season. I can't provide a full match analysis as I didn't take my binoculars, but the three goals we conceded were terrible defensively. All should have been dealt with. Apart from an early Robinson piledriver which was palmed behind for a corner, the only player who looked threatening was the outstanding Zebroski. He grabbed our equaliser on the counter after a tidy angled shot low across the keeper following Robinson's through ball. And after throwing away that effort within minutes of the restart, Zebs had an identical chance which he spooned wide. We didn't work the keeper at all in the second half. Zebs was getting in behind the defence and had a penalty appeal turned down, but we lacked any composure, Tomlin wasting a glorious opportunity to put Kee in when we outnumbered their defence. Rotherham were fortunate to finish with 10 men. Zebs or O'Kane (they look alike so I can be forgiven...), knocked the ball past the last defender, but was obstructed in his dart towards goal. The referee awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, but only flashed a yellow card. However, that shouldn't hide how bad we were today. If we play like that against the Shrews, then the 5-0 scoreline may be repeated, but the goals will be in the opposite column.

Zebs was easily our MOTM. The only other player (won't include subs) that I thought looked solid was Nicholson. The rest were all below-par. I can't make my mind up whether we were leggy and the season has caught up with us, or if were so confident that results would go for us that we thought we could put in such an inadequate display. Our 11-game unbeaten run may have come to an end, but I'm more worried that we've not won any of our last five. The biggest concern has to be the centre of midfield. Stanley was watching from the bench and he was badly missed. Lathrope and Oastler both have a lot of potential, but they were run ragged today and I'm not sure they're ready for the deep end, because they were crying out for Buckle to fling them a float. They are very similar players too which doesn't help and neither offers much support going forward. I'd like to see Mansell moved back into midfield (which is where he finished the game). We need his experience and drive. He was a weak link for the second successive away game at right-back. I didn't have enough fingers to count how may times he was beaten.

One last thing (and sorry to end on a sour note). For the first time ever, I moved seat at HT as I was embarrassed to be sandwiched in between some members of the Backstep Yellow Army Ultras. I prefer to stand and have enjoyed many away experiences when positioned close to their HQ. But not today. The atmosphere was great to begin with. All positive and cheery. But those knives came out as soon as the chips were down. After half-hour and at 1-0 with results going against us, there were the disgruntled moans of '4-4-2', and 'Sort it out Buckle'. The same people were singing 'Ring a Ring o' Roses', holding hands and chanting 'Paul Buckle's Yellow Army' an hour later, despite us now being 3-1 down. Fickle. Then there's the fact that half of the songs were aimed at the empty seats, well the Rotherham fans, instead of the team. Is there any need to shout out things like 'You f****r your nan' and 'Shut up you dirty nothern c**t'? It doesn't make you look big or clever. It makes you look a complete tool. But the final straw was when a few (I should point out that it was only a handful that grated me) turned on their own with shouts of 'Why be quiet when you've travelled all this way?' or 'Stand up and show some support' to other fans who were ignoring their demands to rise when requested. If you want to stand and sing for 90 minutes then that's perfectly fine. But so is sitting quietly and enjoying the game if that's what some supporters prefer. Just because you're in fancy dress and sing about Joe Barlow being a paedophile, it doesn't make you a better supporter than someone who is sat down at the front away from the noise and concentrating on the game. Bah! Humbug!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

What a gruesome experience. A horrible match played in a soulless athletics stadium. And we were poor today.

The amount of times we gave away possession was unbelievable for a team that has promotion pretensions. The full backs looked vulnerable just as they did at Burton. Manse, in particular, got skinned far too easily for my liking.

The midfield didn t function, Bevs looked ill at ease and our defending was generally awful.

The bright spots? Zebs and the return of Mark Ellis. Oh and a cracking pass from The Puffer .

I came away being reminded of Colchester, albeit that this time results have gone our way.

Perhaps it is good to get a shocker out of our system and avoid Stanley (as in Accrington). I felt we certainly missed Stanley (as in Craig).

Oh well, bring on the Shrews...
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Went last season so knew what to expect. The place hasn't improved apart from the meat and potato pies which were first class in terms of shite footballing catering. The game was abysmal and although it would have been a massive kick in the teeth to miss out on the last day after such a long and arduous season when we have been excellent then shit then good i do think that we deserved piss all out of this game. The goals we conceded were comedic at best, all could have been prevented by better defending, tighter marking and concentrating. Zebs was our best man today, worked hard and scored an excellent goal although he was at fault for not pulling the trigger early enough on a couple of occasions. Tomlin was really poor today. Again today the referee was clueless and we should have had at least one penno and they should have been down to 10 men. Loads of gulls there today and agree a bit with some of the points tommyg made about slating the fans for not singing. If you want to go to a game and sit quietly and take it all in then that is up to the individual. Not everyone wants to sing. Obviously it helps the atmosphere when people do sing and i do usually sing most games but sometimes if i go to a match on my own i just want to sit away from other fans a bit and relax. Just the fact that people have actually bothered to attend the game from torquay / elsewhere in the uk gives you an indication that they care as much about the result as much as fans that sing. By the same token, fans have a different understanding / opinion of the game with regards tactics etc and although many support the players through thick and thin, i am not one who generally subscribes to this. Sure, the tactics are up to the manager and i'd leave it at that but i am well within my rights to shout my disapproval of lack of effort. They are professionals after all and we pay good money to watch them play. If they make individual errors during a game then fine but if they are 'tired' boo hoo or just slovenly / lethargic then let them know! They have my support but they have to earn it, i can't applaud someone who just can't be bothered or who doesn't put a shift in.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

I dont sing , shout or get uptight at football these days. Leave that up to the young 'uns. I prefer to watch what is unfolding in front of me, occasionally clap, and shout obscenities, but it doesn't make me any less passionate than the kid next to me who sings non stop.
So less of the slating please.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I am guessing we missed Stanley today then.
Let's hope that this result acts like a rocket up their asses then, and they regroup and bounce back with a thumping win next week!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
yes mate it was a great turnout.

the support and the singing was fantastic, it was great to be there!

pity about the game!! =D
official number? My dad said it looked like 1,000. Apparently filled the area of seats, or something?

Maybe not though.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

What a weird, tense and all round unpleasant afternoon!...........until about 16:50 when confirmation that Gillingham had lost came through. Played in a weird stadium in a horrible area. I don't think I will watch another football match at the Don Valley - whatever the circumstances. I don't think the players knew quite what to do at the end - We had been thoroughly outplayed and beaten yet made the Play Offs. It was certainly strange for us fans.

We looked tense, nervy and both tactically and technically poor today and we deservedly beaten by a much better team. It seemed for long periods like Rotherham had an extra couple of players than us - they looked solid all over the park and very well organised. We were so poor we made them look like Brazil. We were one down before we had chance to settle and never recovered. For the first, we had several chances to clear the danger then fell asleep with our marking. Still no real danger until Bevs failed to hold a weak, but deflected ball in to the goalmouth and the rebound was slammed home. Sadly, it was the Bevs at Burton that turned up today rather than the one who played against Chesterfield.

Poor old Lee Mansell had a torrid time at right back and got skinned time and time again. From one of these Rotherham should have gone further ahead, but the ball flashed across the goal and within about 10 seconds we were level with a fantastic breakaway goal. Robinson took the ball then fed Zebs with a perfectly weighted pass and Zebs put it across the keeper with an excellent (and very un Zebs like) left footed finish. To go in at HT level would have been massive, but within a matter of minutes were behind again. Another sloppy piece of work from Bevan led to a corner from which we decided not to bother marking anyone. Free header into the six yard box which was shot into our net. Absolutely shambolic defending.

Apparently they scored a third in the second half - I couldn't see cos it was too far away and my attention was more focused on updates from the other games. Judging from the rest of the match I imagine it was the result of Rotherham wanting the ball more and slack defending from TUFC. We had one or two chances to get back into it - Zebs should have done better with two clear cut chances, but fluffed them. He appealed for a penalty for one of them, but the challenge only came about as he had dawdled. For a strong looking fella he is going down a little too easily at times. We saw the best and worst of him today - tireless running and chasing down of lost causes and a cracking finish. but then wasteful in front of goal.

They might as well of put SKY Sports on a big screen duing the second half. The TUFC match was so irrelevant to whether or not we would make the Play Offs. We were simply never in it from the off. I'm not sure whether the 4-5-1 formation sent the players out with the wrong mindset, but I cannot describe just how awful. all over the pitch we were. Other than the excellent goal we scored I can't think of anything positive that comes from the match (other than the obvious!) . On the other hand there must be several massive issues which we need to consider for next week:
1. What is going on with Bevs?
2. Mansell has been skinned at will througout the last few matches - particularly today and at Burton
3. Oastler and Lathrope looked ineffective in the middle today, but who else is there to replace Stanley - my god did we miss him today.
4 O'Kane and Robinson are very, very skilful players, but they have been ineffective during the run-in. When Kee came onto today he too was dreadful.

Having seen us about 15 times this season, I can't believe that we are in the Play Offs. That said, the league table doesn't lie and we are the seventh best team in a pretty poor league two. Well done to PB, the board and the players. A terrific acheivment and way beyond my expectations. I'd prefer to play Shrewsbury and Saturday is far better for the first leg than the dreadful 18:30 kick off on a Sunay for the other Play Off match - when are the Football authorities going to stop dicking football fans around with these kind of kick offs?
Last edited by Enzo on 07 May 2011, 22:45, edited 2 times in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

NickGull wrote: official number? My dad said it looked like 1,000. Apparently filled the area of seats, or something?

Maybe not though.

according to tufc site 657 nick.

but the stand was well full!! :engflag: :bow:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Dreadfull game, and awful result but so chuffed for all the fans, players, backroom staff, etc for what we've acheived this season!!

Was nice of a lot Rovrum fans to stay and clap the Gulls off, nice touch to a pants game!!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Have to agree with tommyg. There was a boorish side to some of our support yesterday.

“Stand up if you love Torquay” is a fine call of unity when used sparingly. After the sixth rendition it can just become slightly wearing. And to berate those that do not wish to partake with “If you re not standing up why re you here?” smacks of a mixture of arrogance and ignorance.

And then there was the paranoid stewarding. Did they have enough rope to hang themselves? And what a cracking job they did as the Rotherham fans cascaded onto the pitch at the end.

Mind you if I was a Rotherham fan I would have celebrated the end of another season in that godawful stadium as well.

It all added to an atmosphere that was the most surreal that I have ever experienced at a football match. And that was before celebrating our 3-1 defeat!
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

I thought the atmosphere we made was great considering the acoustics. I read this off the millers forum "Torquay are obviously not a bad side and were buoyed by quite a big vocal following so credit where it is due today..." So we obviously made ourselves heard.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Not sure if it has been mentioned but what an awful performance from Tomlin. My mind has been made up on him. I though when a scored a few games ago he would come out of his shell. But it seems he is just generally a poor player.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

good morning all,just read your posts,and on the whole a dismal performance by the sounds of it,but a season of 46 games,we must be doing something right,ok its a rollercoaster with our beloved gulls,but am so proud to wake up this morning and we are in the playoffs,all of us should be proud of our team today,ok the pessimists will be lurking on here,finding something to whine about,we have had a great season,whether we go up or not,bucks will know we need to improve on yesterdays performance,we will be ready for whatever shrewsbury throw at us,and if we make it to the final,presuming it is acc stanley,we wont fear them,we will give them alot to think about,enjoy being in playoffs guys and gals,lets keep this party going....simon :)