League 2: Rotherham United vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Rotherham United vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Don Valley Stadium
Saturday 7th May 2011
KO: 3pm

Another football league season goes by, and it seems to have gone by in a flash! As I'm sure everyone on here is hoping that our season is extended by another couple of weeks, which it will should we win on Saturday. Unfortunately I can't make the game, but for all that do, I hope the performance makes the trip worthwhile. Rotherham were one of the best sides to come to Plainmoor, in my opinion. This is a very tough task, and I for one am glad that Rotherham themselves dropped out of the race for the top 7 spots. They have nothing to play for - although it could be Adam Le Fondre's last game for the Millers, as he is being linked away from the DVS (again).

GULLS NEWS.

Craig Stanley has returned to his parent club, Morecambe, although he isn't involved in their match against Northampton. Other than that, I don't think there are any injury concerns for this clash.

CONSEQUENCES.

We can confirm ourselves in the playoff spots with a win, which will keep us in 6th place. Finishing in 6th will give us a two-legged tie against Accrington. Should we draw, and either Stevenage or Gillingham win, we'll finish 7th, which will see us against either Shrewsbury or Wycombe. However, should we draw and both Stevenage and Gillingham win, we miss out on the playoffs. It is imperative that we equal one of the results of the Stevenage/Gillingham games, otherwise we'll finish just outside the playoffs.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

Rotherham - LDDDLD

Torquay - WWDDDD

We are in better form than our rivals on Saturday. Rovrum haven't won in 7 attempts, their last victory coming in a 0-6 romp at Lincoln. They have lost consecutive home games, against Morecambe then Gillingham. Andy Scott is the new man in charge. He did well for Brentford at this level, so I suspect that Rotherham will be up there again next season, once Scott has had a full summer to make his mark on the team. We have drawn 4 consecutive games now, but we have kept 5 clean sheets in our last 6, Burton being the only side to beat Scott Bevan.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the Rotherham side which drew with Aldershot;

Annerson

Tonge
Newey
Cresswell
Fenton

Harrison
Taylor
Bradley
Henderson

Pope
Le Fondre

Subs: Warrington, Green, Ashworth, Kennedy, Warne, Marshall, Randall.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Adam Le Fondre is clearly the name that jumps out at you - he's had a fantastic couple of seasons, scoring plenty of goals. He scored both goals at Aldershot which could be a sign that he's getting back into form. He causes problems all the time, so will need to be watched well by Branston and Robertson. Tom Pope is also a good striker at this level.

REF WATCH.

Here are the officials for Saturdays game:

K A WOOLMER
M Heywood and S Smith
Fourth Official R J Wigglesworth

Strangely, there isn't a ref called K Woolmer, but there is one called A Woolmer, so I'll go with that. Could be totally wrong though. Anyway, the A Woolmer was the referee at the Morecambe game this year, who gave those two late penalties. He has refereed 35 games this year, giving out 101 yellow cards and 3 red cards.

PREDICTION.

As long as we finish in 6th or 7th then I'm delighted. Anyway, its been a fantastic season to follow the Gulls, and I just hope it hasn't finished yet.

COYY!
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

I'll be there. :)
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Quite simply, a game we have to win. I don't want us to draw and have to rely on results elsewhere. Let's win and get to the playoffs in style!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I hope we draw and Gillingham and Stevenage manage a win and a deferat between them. That way we should avoid having to go to that shithole in Lancashire. Shrews or Wycombe would be ideal for me.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Southampton Gull wrote:I hope we draw and Gillingham and Stevenage manage a win and a deferat between them. That way we should avoid having to go to that shithole in Lancashire. Shrews or Wycombe would be ideal for me.
Amen to that!

If we got shrewsbury or Wycombe I'd fancy us to get to the final. Accrington not a chance! Maybe that point deduction might end up doing us a favour!

Looking forward to this, although have that slight nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like in 2004/5, when you think "surely the one combination of results that sees us relegated won't happen......" Hopefully we have enough to get the job done. Rotherham could still be up for it, playing for contracts and all that so we have to be on our game. Hopefully a strong away following coupled with an uninterested home crowd will make a difference.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Jeff, you have captured my thoughts exactly with "surely the one combination of results that sees us relegated won't happen......". Our rivals look to have tricky games so it's feasible we won't need to win to make it, and being Torquay who do things the hard way I think we'll get another draw and just hope that'll be enough.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I cannot see either Chesterfield or Bury not winning on Saturday, so I am fairly confident with staying in the play offs. But as SG said, I would rather Stevenage win, we draw and Gills lose (I don't want to end up with Gillingham in the finals if we get that far).
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

1-1 and it'll be enough.
TUST #324
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

numpte wrote:1-1 and it'll be enough.
Not if Gills and Stevenage win
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Apologies for not stating the obvious. By...it'll be enough, I mean either Stevenage / Gillingham or both will fail to win.

Should we be fortunate enough to get through, would be very amusing to see the attendance figure for Accrington v Torquay at Old Trafford!!! 12000?

Anyway, good luck to all travelling tomorrow and take your binoculars!!
TUST #324
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Jeff wrote: Amen to that!

If we got shrewsbury or Wycombe I'd fancy us to get to the final. Accrington not a chance! Maybe that point deduction might end up doing us a favour!

Looking forward to this, although have that slight nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like in 2004/5, when you think "surely the one combination of results that sees us relegated won't happen......" Hopefully we have enough to get the job done. Rotherham could still be up for it, playing for contracts and all that so we have to be on our game. Hopefully a strong away following coupled with an uninterested home crowd will make a difference.
I think we will go for the win and get it which will mean Accrington Stanley at the semi-final stage. I too would prefer Shrewsbury or Wycombe at that stage but I am optimistic that we have got what it takes to get past Accrington and hopefully meet Shrewsbury or Wycombe in the final. If nerves don't get the better of either team that should be a hell of a game and certainly worthy of gracing Old trafford.

Accrington Stanley are a good well organised team. They gained a merited 0-0 draw at Plainmoor and then beat us 1-0 on that awful pitch that we would have to deal with again. It certainly wasn't a clearcut win for Accrington and we were down to ten men for the second half. They are the form team at the moment with a run of 17 games unbeaten but of course the longer an unbeaten run continues the nearer it gets to them losing.

The first leg would be at Plainmoor and I would be confident of winning, and although I would prefer more I think a one goal margin at home would be enough to see us through the tie.

Enough of that though I suppose as there is the small matter of tomorrow. Sounds as if we will have good support although it is apparently a strange stadium with only one side of the ground being used for spectators and the pitch being some way from the stands. Will make creating an atmosphere difficult but I am sure everybody will give it a good go.

I would certainly rather be playing Rotherham tomorrow than being away to a team scrapping to avoid relegation, and although I would agree with Dave (SG) that I would prefer a sequence of results that would see us finish 7th it is not something we have in our hands so I am sure with Paul Buckle's approach he will go for a win and equally confident that he will get it.

Hope everybody going has a safe journey and thoroughly enjoyable day ...... :scarf:
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Can anyone confirm whether an adequate drummer and drum will be making their way to rotherham tomorrow?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The thing with Accrington is that, although they get a slating for the state of their pitch, they played some damn good football on it when we were up there. Neat passing, very tidy and nothing went astray. It helps them that they are used to it, but it was still a good show. When their team was read out, I thought to myself they were going to play long ball to Gornell, and Branston would gobble everything up. How wrong I was - I actually found them one of the more impressive sides I've seen this season, hence why I fear them so.

Should we get there to meet them, one thing they do lack is big match experience. Look at their squad - full of solid decent players but a lot of them have never played in that "big day out". Us, on the otherhand, well you look at our defensive unit and 4 of the 5 were in the Wembley squads, and the only one who wasn't is Branno who obviously has been there and done that at most levels. Of course, Accrington may raise their game but there is a risk they might freeze up.

Still, I'd feel more confident if we faced Shrewsbury/Wycombe and then Stevenage in the final - all teams we have comprehensively outplayed home and away. Accrington and Gillingham are the sides I fear as we have been less impressive against them.

This could all be a moot point - we still need to step up and do the business tomorrow.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Seems to be a sensible policy to qualify for the play-offs first, before worrying about who we get...

They are a lottery anyway, so I don t think it matters too much. You have a one in four chance of promotion. And last time we were the one!
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

not long now til i set off, washed and dressed, nerves a jangling as usual!! must force some food down before the beer begins at 1130!!

very hopeful of getting the result we need, like everyone else i'd rather not face accrington, as its the inevitable 1-0 loss up there!! but on our day we are more than capable of beating the other 4 teams still in with a shout today. today should be a good game, rotherham will be relaxed, we should be buoyed by a few hundred travelling fans, cant see it being the 800 rumoured elsewhere tho, but i prepare to be amazed!!

i'm backing tq to win, and from -1 today, just a couple quid as usual tho and i think i'll have jake to score at any time too. gulls to win 0-2
still keeping the faith