League 2: Torquay United vs Chesterfield

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

eastyorksgull wrote: gods sake burnham we are still in threre fighting and we will be in playoffs next weekend
Maybe, but we've drawn our last four games and we keep reading from Buckle how the team are "gonna give it a right go"..........maybe "us giving it a go" isn't good enough.

We should be very comfortable in the playoffs but once again, we've decided to do it the hard way and it will get harder with Stanley now heading home.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Rotherham will be an interesting game - the fact that they've recently appointed a new manager (Andy Scott) could be a blessing or a hinderance for us.

On the one hand, all the players will be playing for their futures and could be fired up to perform.

On the other, AS may experiment with some formations, selections and personnel as he seeks to shape what should undoubtedly be a promotion push next season. Maybe next saturday is the day we get our payback for Tranmere fielding that weakened side back in 2005 against MK Dons.

We really need AC Northampton to do us a favour tomorrow. They've gone a staggering 19 games (I think) without winning, but they have a squad of decent players and they are hard to beat (they've drawn a shedload recently).

As long as they don't win, we're in with a real shot. Gillingham (who i think will beat Macc at Priestfield tomorrow) and Stevenage have got tough games with both Bury and Chesterfield gunning for the title. We will have to be at our best to capitalise if anyone drops any points.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

i can see stevenage losing both
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Unbeaten in 11 and five clean sheets in our last six. Frustrating that's we've drawn our last four, but anything can happen and at least we've taken it to the last day. Our goal difference could see us limp over the line if results go our way. Nobody can say whether this is a positive/negative result until 5pm tomorrow.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

Burnhamgull wrote: Maybe, but we've drawn our last four games and we keep reading from Buckle how the team are "gonna give it a right go"..........maybe "us giving it a go" isn't good enough.

We should be very comfortable in the playoffs but once again, we've decided to do it the hard way and it will get harder with Stanley now heading home.
yeah your right burnham, understand what your saying,but dont be surprised when we go there next weekend and get a result,i am sure we will
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I must admit I'm basing my thoughts on our recent performances without looking at who our rivals are playing over the next two games.

Perhaps my pessimism is a tad hasty. I'd rather Buckle said nothing this week though and stopped building up my hopes ;-)

I can't get to the Rotherham game (Wife organised a trip to bloody Thorpe Park)..........hope to be at the play off games if we get there!
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

Burnhamgull wrote:I must admit I'm basing my thoughts on our recent performances without looking at who our rivals are playing over the next two games.

Perhaps my pessimism is a tad hasty. I'd rather Buckle said nothing this week though and stopped building up my hopes ;-)

I can't get to the Rotherham game (Wife organised a trip to bloody Thorpe Park)..........hope to be at the play off games if we get there!
what you should be saying burnham WHEN WE GET THERE :lol:
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

a couple of weeks ago, i'd have settled for a point tonight, but after a string of draws, i really did think we would need a win tonight.

i fully expect gillingham and stevenage to win tomorrow and leap-frog us again, but next weekend is massive. those two have to face chesterfield and bury respectively, who will both be going for the title, so a win at rotherham "should" be enough. here's hoping !! :scarf:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

You can see why chesterfield are were they are but the ref and linesman spoiled the game, along with the nob heads on the pitch

unfortunately meant you couldn't clap off Stanley (or an players) as he wont play for us again (this season)
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

A frustrating night for us tonight. We were dominant in the first 20 minutes, and once again the woodwork denied us a perfect start. Chesterfield got themselves back into the half and some sloppy defending nearly cost us a couple of goals. Thank god Scott Bevan was on top form tonight. Easily my MOTM.

We had our moments in the second half, but once Branstons second header hit the bar, you just knew it wasn't going to happen.

Our long passes over the top were woeful at times, especially in the second half. 0-0 was a fair result in the end.

Fans down the end closest to the away fans were brilliant. Supportive, loud and we completely drowned out the noise from the Chesterfield fans.

Ref and lino, average. Some decisions were right, and some were wrong.

Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. My gut instinct says Stevenage will lose tomorrow, so play-offs not out of the question yet.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As 0.0 draws go this match was bit of a craker,had everything but goals frustrating for the third home mathc in a row we have so close to scoring to be denied by post crossbar or a goal line clearence.

We are not out of the play-offs yet,Gillingham and stevenage have a couple of hard games to play yet,no other esult other than a win up Rotherham will do now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

Agree with the comments about the nobs who ran on the pitch at the end, would have been better if the players could have been able to take the thanks from the crowd for a great season regardless of what else happens, as it was most of them ran off the pitch and who could blame them, not knowing if you are going to get a pat on the back or a right hook. Ps don't ever let the groundstaff near a hosepipe ever again
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Lots to comment on here, so in no particular order: Mark, absolutely right, that bloody hose has cost us points, almost no doubt. By all means, water the surface, but he pisses gallons all over it and that just soaks the earth below the grass and makes it treacherous under foot.
Bloody pitch invasion was stupid, average age of invaders was about 6, wholly the wrong thing to do. I'm not entirely anti-invasion, but to have one tonight was plain daft, it meant nothing and was slightly embarrassing. 99% of them on the pitch didn't have a clue what to do once on the grass.
PlainmoorRoar, nothing wrong with the referee tonight, he might have given us the free kick for the pull back on Zedders right at the death, but aside from that, he was fine. No bookings, no unnecessary bollockings for players, almost completely anonymous.
Burnham, I agree entirely with our punctuation shy friend from Hull, there is absolutely no need to be negative. There is almost nothing stopping us beating Rotherham, they're shit of late. The teams around us have some very difficult matches to play yet and the chances of them all taking 6 points are virtually zero.

Good game of football tonight. Chesterfield absolutely superb both with and without the ball. Crisp, accurate passing, always to be found in space, decent shooting from any range, really, really good without being extravagant or flash, they'll do just fine in L1 next year.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I thought it was one of the best 0-0 matches I've seen. Lots of quality to admire on the pitch and a superb atmosphere that had Plainmoor rocking. Just a shame we don't get support like that all season.

Lots to be positive about and I honestly think that come next saturday we'll hold our fate in our own hands. Instead of thinking negative about 4 draws on the bounce we should realise we're a very hard side to beat at the moment. If we do get into the play-offs, NOBODY will relish playing us, you can be sure of that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

yellowsmiffy wrote:To be fair i'm happy with a point tonight. I said before the match we need 4 points from the last two, and the point should be enough if we beat the Millers IMO. Just did the BBC predictor again and have us in the playoffs by a point, stevenage missing out. We're sixth with Gills behind on goal difference.

As for our form I really don't know what to make of it!? Unbeaten is great but 4 draws is very poor considering our dominance. We don't look like scoring at all. Ok ok yeah we have gone really close a few times, but these chances are mostly from set pieces and Branston! We don't create clear cut opportunities to shoot on goal. The team is fantastic defensively at home, yet we look unbalanced and awkward in attack. The forwards dont work together and don't have much understanding and Robinson looks clueless. Billy Kee is ineffective out wide.

We need Zebs on the wing really, but Bucks has his hands tied because we need someone to win the headers up top... shame Macklin is complete cack and Danny is sub material really....

Enjoyed tonights game, but three goaless draws is a piss take. That valid goal which the ****ing ref disallowed vs Port Vale could cost us big time.

Anyhows lets hope Stevenage etc c**k it up tomorrow and put it back in our hands!!!! COYY!!!!

So you weren't at Burton to see Kee's finish then Mike? Or Tomlin's
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com