League 2: Torquay United vs Chesterfield

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Torquay United vs Chesterfield

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Friday 29th April 2011
KO: 7:45pm

Well, this is it. The final 8 days of the regular league season. Two games remain. I keep saying it, but this is now the biggest game of the season. Win or bust, in my eyes. This is the game that the rest have come down to. Both sides will obviously want the 3 points, for different reasons. We can move back into the playoffs, while Chesterfield need the points to re-establish the lead they've nearly thrown away, to Bury, in the race for the title. They could have won the trophy on Monday, but Bury won 3-2 at the b2net to close the gap to just 2 points. Nerves are sure to be jangling in their camp, and no doubt in ours too. However, nerves will need to be put aside on Friday night, and we'll need to produce a performance on a par with Wycombe in order to win this one, I think. Our two games without scoring were then ended with the 3 at Burton, just a shame the defence seemed to go AWOL. As we all know, Chesterfield have sold out, hopefully we will do too, for what should be a cracker of a match.

GULLS NEWS.

It's the same as Monday, I believe. I've heard no injury concerns really, so hopefully it'll stay that way.

CONSEQUENCES.

We can move back up to 5th with victory, albeit just for the night. That'll add the pressure onto the others though, knowing they need to win to leapfrog us again. Chesterfield need the points to move 5 clear of Bury with 2 games to play. If we win, then Bury could go a point ahead before the final round of fixtures, which could actually help us, as Chesterfield host Gillingham while Bury travel to Stevenage.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

Torquay - DWWDDD

Chesterfield - DWLWDL

We're in slightly better form than our opponents, going into this one. Chesterfield have won 2, lost 2, drawn 2 of their last 6, whereas we are still unbeaten, 9 now I think. We desperately need 3 points to end our drawing streak though, as I don't feel a point will be enough. Chesterfield have done averagely on their travels, drawing at Barnet and Oxford, and losing at Hereford, 3-0.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side which lost 2-3 at home to Bury on Easter Monday:

Lee

Griffiths
Holden
Allott
Mattis
Whitaker
Morgan
Smalley
Talbot
Lester
Davies

Subs: Bowery, Ford, Breckin, Niven, Morris, Djilali, Boden.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

I'm struggling to work out what formation they used against Bury. I can only make out that there are 3 defenders in that starting 11 (Griffiths, Mattis and Holden), while there are 5 strikers. I'll be interested to see the formation they use against us, but looking at that squad, there are plenty of excellent players for this level. Jack Lester has been around for years, and is still banging them in. Craig Davies has scored 20+ goals this season, he's been a revelation since joining the Spireites. Danny Whitaker has also impressed, and he will cause some problems from the middle of the park, I'm sure.

PREDICTION.

Hopeful of a win, but can't see it. 1-1.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Firstly, HUZZAH! I got tickets :clap:

It would have been better if Chesterfield had nothing to play for but hey. Should be a good game with both teams desperate for the win so I can't predict which way this will go.
Can't wait!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

1-1

And it won't be the end of the world meaning Bury will go into the last game with something to play for.

Lots of twists and turns to come.
TUST #324
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

2-2

we're gonna lead then buckle.

This is likely to be my last Torquay game for a year. Let's make it a good one, COYY
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

draw at best i reckon, season over by saturday teatime

shant be about this weekend, off for jolly boys in bristol, gas v weds with owl mate plus another, home end tho

used to live there, so cant wait to get back and show em the sights!!

fingers crossed for tomor night then anyway
still keeping the faith
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Been looking forward to this game all week, think it will be a close game, but we will prevail 2-1. Kee double. Attendance 5,100

Setting off at 5am as parents want to watch the Royal Wedding.

Hopefully everyone will have their singing voices ready by the time kick off arrives. With a good atmosphere and a good performance, we can win this and get ourselves back in the Play-offs (if only for 24 hours).

COME ON YOU YELLOWS! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

tktufc91 wrote:Been looking forward to this game all week, think it will be a close game, but we will prevail 2-1. Kee double. Attendance 5,100

Setting off at 5am as parents want to watch the Royal Wedding.

Hopefully everyone will have their singing voices ready by the time kick off arrives. With a good atmosphere and a good performance, we can win this and get ourselves back in the Play-offs (if only for 24 hours).

COME ON YOU YELLOWS! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
And what, their television doesn't work unless you are a very long way away from it?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Ha, no there coming with me, gonna stay for a long weekend down with the grandparents. :~D
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Massive massive game, just hope they haven't seen a video of the Burton match for we weren't at our defensive best.

Simples, lose and it's all over. Have to say watching our last two matches I struggle to see how we are going to overcome Chesterfield. But hey, we beaten most of the teams above us so it's all on the day as they say.

Just seen HRH The Queen all in yellow! We're gonna WIN!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

By jove , I think you're onto something here...perhaps we could ask for an advance to secure our loanees for next year...

This will be our 5-0 result today :keepie: - like last season. Eyes down for a full house! COYY :bow:
Can't wait - this has been a great season and it has more to come
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
:engflag:

Note to admin - if the GIF is treasonable please delete
Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif (45.44 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Just getting ready to settle down in my garden here in sunny Chesterfield with a few beers and live commentary from PEAK FM RADIO. I must be the only Torquay fan in Chesterfield tonight!! I'll be sticking up for the yellow army by sending their commentary team regular messages in support of the Gulls and letting all the stay at home Spireites know that we are a good team and going for the jugular!! Come on you yellows don't let us down tonight!! Been chatting to locals in our village who are spireites and they all don't fancy their team tonight. They don't know that much about Torquay players but they believe there are signs of tiredness and summer holiday syndrome in the Chesterfield camp and that will end their title hopes rather than the opposition being any good.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Sitting here in Norway and waiting for the game to start. This one is massive and hopefully we'll end our run of draws. I don't want the season to end just yet :)

COYY!!

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Massively nervous and excited for tonights game. Make or break!

I'm not one of these who thinks its "o.k" if we don't make the playoffs. We've been top half all season (bar a couple of weeks around Hereford-gate) and to miss out now would be a failure. Buckle has done a fantastic job, by rights we shouldn't be up there challenging but if Stevenage and Accrington are then we have every right too.

We find ourselves in the bizarre situation where we could take 6 points out of 6 and not make the playoffs, or take 1 point out of 6 and finish 6th if results went our way! I'm not sure whether its a good time to be playing Chesterfield either. on the one hand they will be rattled having not been able to sew up the championship - and after having gone to the trouble of printing all the flags! But then on the other, they may well be fired up for it. I have to be honest I was more impressed by Bury rather than Chesterfield at the away games this season, even though we beat Bury. Bury seemed like a very exciting, pacy attacking side who got rattled easily, wheras Chesterfield I thought were solid, functional and effective. Not so pretty to watch but I guess if it wins games then its all good. If they take that mentality out onto the field today, we could find them tough to break down.

I'll be following the game via my usual media of the BBC text commentary, SSN and here, so those of you who are tuning in to Gullsplayer and posting on here, please be quick with your updates as often I find this is where I find the goal action first!

COYY!!!!!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

01 Bevan
03 Nicholson
05 Robertson
23 Branston
06 Stanley
07 Mansell
10 O'Kane
08 Kee
09 Robinson
15 Tomlin
26 Zebroski
Substitutes
16 Potter, 02 Rowe-Turner, 18 Oastler, 04 Ellis, 19 Stevens, 22 Lathrope, 14 Macklin

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I like that, our most attacking line up. Prefer Zebs on the wing, and I think Billy will score today.

Huge two hours ahead...

COYY!
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats