League 2: Burton Albion vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Yep, I agree with Yellow4life, I think we could have just blown our chances.

Unfortunately Branno put the kiss of death on it by saying howwe're "the team to beat"......famous last words!

Dropped points against Port Vale and especially Wycombe have crippled us.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Sounds like great entertainment !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It's still in our hands, but I don't think we can afford another defeat, and with two good sides still to play that's going to be very tricky. 4 points needed in my opinion to get into the play-offs.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

3 draws in a row simply isnt good enough form for a team to expect to get a play off position

we will almost certainly have to win our two remaining games now

...and hope to get our point deducted back!(little chance)
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Typical Torquay, anything but a win on Friday night will surely mean the end of our play-off dreams. Why can't we beat the lesser sides in this league.

Looking at the fixtures for Saturday.

Gillingham v Macclesfield - Looks like a home win for me

Acc. Stanley v Barnet - Again, looks like a home banker, but Barnet's win at Gillingham on Saturday gives me hope.

Northampton v Stevenage - Maybe a draw, be good for an home win.

Very depressed at the moment.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Bullsh*t. If we don't beat Chesterfield it's good night.

We need to appeal against that deducted point.
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

No it's not in our hands now. We can win our 2 games and still not make it...
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Frustrating as it is to drop points, especially against a team in the lower half of the table, it was this match that we were probably going to slip up on.
Lets just hope that one of the other teams slip up.

I wonder if the club are considering appealing against the point deduction, given we are a point behind in the play offs and would still be in them if we still had that point.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

tktufc91 wrote:Typical Torquay, anything but a win on Friday night will surely mean the end of our play-off dreams. Why can't we beat the lesser sides in this league.

Looking at the fixtures for Saturday.

Gillingham v Macclesfield - Looks like a home win for me

Acc. Stanley v Barnet - Again, looks like a home banker, but Barnet's win at Gillingham on Saturday gives me hope.

Northampton v Stevenage - Maybe a draw, be good for an home win.

Very depressed at the moment.
Sure, they look like home bankers, but then I am sure we looked like an away banker.

This is football - anything can happen.

Until it is mathematically impossible for us to not qualify for the play offs, I will continue to live in hope!!

STIP
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Now we're just being bitter.

We screwed up our administration and have to accept our punishment. It could have been a lot worse don't forget. Hereford were going to appeal as their punishment was worse.

We've dropped six points in our last three games and have nobody else to blame but ourselves. Next weeks fixtures look heavily stacked against us as all our rivals have games they should win. We had a game today we should hae won on paper but we went 2-0 up, got blase and took our foot off the pedal (perhaps). We now have to hope we can win our last two games and hope somebody slips up.

Tonight I'm gutted but at least it looks as though May might not be as costly as I first thought....................
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

scottbrehaut wrote: Sure, they look like home bankers, but then I am sure we looked like an away banker.

This is football - anything can happen.

Until it is mathematically impossible for us to not qualify for the play offs, I will continue to live in hope!!

true scotty.

and chesterfield and rovrum arnt playing well at the moment.

if we beat chesterfield that would put rotherham out of it and to go there on the last day when they hopefully wont fancy it!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

robc wrote:No it's not in our hands now. We can win our 2 games and still not make it...
I know that's true technically, but 6 points would get us into the play-offs. I think 4 would too.

All we can do is take one game at a time. A win on Friday is a must (and would take us 5th) and then the pressure's on the rest of the league to overtake us again. If we don't win on Friday then we'll be very lucky to still stand a chance. Lose and it's all over.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Burnhamgull wrote:Now we're just being bitter.

We screwed up our administration and have to accept our punishment. It could have been a lot worse don't forget. Hereford were going to appeal as their punishment was worse.

We've dropped six points in our last three games and have nobody else to blame but ourselves. Next weeks fixtures look heavily stacked against us as all our rivals have games they should win. We had a game today we should hae won on paper but we went 2-0 up, got blase and took our foot off the pedal (perhaps). We now have to hope we can win our last two games and hope somebody slips up.

Tonight I'm gutted but at least it looks as though May might not be as costly as I first thought....................
According the Jeff (who was at the game), we took a two goal lead against the run of play, so probably not a case of us taking our foot off the pedal.

Hereford will probably appeal, but it is futile - they gained three points unfairly and subsequently lost them. We did not gain any advantage from having Jake on the pitch, and therefore should not have lost any points as a result. Not being bitter in my opinion - I have always advocated appealing. It just makes it even more important for us to do so now.

On that subject, did they (the FA/FL) even release the reasoning behind the deductions?

STIP
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Looking at the fixtures, I think the final play-off spot will be contested by ourselves and Stevenage. They've got to go to AC Northampton and then finish at home to Bury. In my opinion, I think Stevenage will gain 2 points from those matches. Crossed fingers
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

Our **** luck is priceless - how often do refs blow the final whistle when a team is attacking on the edge of the box.
....aka jmgull.