League 2: Burton Albion vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Burton Albion vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Pirelli Stadium
Monday 25th April 2011
KO: 3pm

I, for one, cannot wait for this match. It'll be tough, but we seem to be getting better and better as games go by. We keep improving on our last performance, although to improve on Saturdays would take one massive effort from everybody. However, the Easter Weekend is halfway done, so we do need another big effort tomorrow, to try and bring maximum points home. I'm feeling quite confident that there will be around 600 or so fans in the away end tomorrow - maybe more if it's sunny. Our opposition had a fantastic result yesterday, a 1-2 victory at Aldershot, which moved them up to 17th, and gave a little bit of breathing space above the bottom 2. Hopefully that'll mean there is less pressure for them to secure a result tomorrow, as yesterday was somewhat unexpected.

GULLS NEWS.

I believe everyone is okay to play. Ronan Murray seems to have been recalled - a shame as he was good.

CONSEQUENCES.

It's looking like the top 3 are out of reach now, as we couldn't win against Wycombe. Still, a victory here would see us get ever closer to confirming our position in the top 7, which would be excellent. For Burton, a win would keep them with some breathing space, but a defeat, and Barnet winning, would close the gap right down again.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - Conference - 9th place - 60 points
2006/07 - Conference - 6th place - 75 points
2007/08 - Blue Square Premier - 5th place - 81 points - LOST IN PLAYOFFS
2008/09 - Blue Square Premier - 1st place - 88 points - PROMOTED AS CHAMPIONS
2009/10 - League 2 - 13th place - 62 points

Improvement is the word to describe Burtons past half-decade. Under Nigel Clough, they continued to improve on themselves, and eventually all that work culminated in success in 2008/09. I would have thought that the Club would probably have broken the points tally record for the Blue Square Premier, had Clough not left half way through the season, for Derby County. His replacement, Roy McFarland had a steady set of results, eventually delivering the trophy that was in the bag, but had the season gone on for a few games longer, I'd have thought that they'd have lost out. Having a 20 point lead eventually cut to 2 shows that their end of season form wasn't the best. Still, the job was done, and League 2 football was to be played at the Pirelli. Their first ever season in the Football League was a successful one, with no relegation worries at all, finishing in a comfortable 13th place.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

Burton - DLLWDW

Torquay - WDWWDD

We're still unbeaten, after the two 0-0's in succession. Burton have picked themselves up a bit recently, taking 7 from a possible 9. Wins against Cheltenham and Aldershot sandwiched the draw at Bradford in midweek.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that won 2-1 at Aldershot:

23 Legzdins
03 Webster
05 James
07 Moore
08 Corbett
06 McGrath
16 Penn
17 Phillips (Malone 54)
19 Maghoma
18 Pearson
32 Zola (Walker 79)

Substitutes

01 Poole,
28 Malone
21 Preen
25 Parks
10 Walker
20 Young
22 Dyer

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Calvin Zola is a very good striker at this level. Obviously out of favour at parent club Crewe, but he hit 15+ goals for them last season, and has scored a couple this time around. Russell Penn is a dangerous midfielder at this level too. He was very good in the BSP for Kiddy, and has stepped up well, to League 2.

PREDICTION.

Play like we did yesterday.. win.

Sorry for the poor thread guys, very busy weekend and leaving at about 10ish tomorrow so not much time to do it in the morning!

COYY!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

seems like its only £13 to get onto their terracing tomorrow, that must be the cheapest in the league!!

should be there 1239, burton bridge brewery tap first item on my agenda, then either or both of coopers tavern and the albert

extremely hopeful of a win, surely our two game drought will come to an end pretty soon, i know burton are no mugs, had a great win on saturday, and need another to aid their fight to sta y above either barnet or northampton, but i'm very hopeful that we will prove to be too strong for them?
still keeping the faith
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'll be there with bells on - what with a run of home games and me having to work when we played Bradford I am having massive withdrawal symptoms! Usual match report will follow this on, if I can remember how to write them!

I am actually a little apprehensive about the game. Didn't realise the form Burton had put together, and this is the sort of game we usually drop points. We need the spirit of Cheltenham 2004 tomorrow.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

quite nervous now, trying to force down a bacon and mushroom sarnie but my PMT has kicked in early today!!

hopeful of a victory, have backed the win at 7/5, -1, -2 and -3 just in case altho i am expecting just a narrow victory today

as for the other games i think its the rotherham gills game that has the most interest, a draw would be great. also chesterfield to beat bury so they dont need a result at ours on friday??

should be a good turnout today, expecting 400?? or is that a bit ambitious?
still keeping the faith
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I woke up semi-drunk and thought i'd check out prices to Burton, gutted to find that had I booked before 8am from Exeter it would've been 35quid return... Nevermind.

My dad's going and I've good memories from the Burton ground - Faggots and chips £1.80 always serves up a laugh. I remember the first time I went to Burton Scotty Rendell and Benners nailed two awesome goals, so hopefully Zebs and Tomlin will step up and deliver today. My dad and his shrewsbury supporting mate have gone so i'll be getting updates.

0-2 gulls,

COYY
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Would love to be there today, alas, exams are keeping me up north. Would love to see Billy start this one, after us not scoring in 180 minutes...

Bevan
Manse Branston Robbo Nicho
O'Kane Stanley Lathrope Robinson
Zebs Kee

Subs: Potter, LRT, Ellis, Oastler, Saul, Danny, Tomlin

Got a good feeling today, I think 2-1 with Danny coming off the bench to grab a late winner.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

01 Scott Bevan
07 Lee Mansell
05 Chris Robertson
23 Guy Branston
03 Kevin Nicholson
10 Eunan O'Kane
06 Craig Stanley
18 Joe Oastler
09 Jake Robinson
15 Gavin Tomlin
26 Chris Zebroski

Subs
08 Billy Kee
22Damon Lathrope
02Lathanial Rowe-Turner
04Mark Ellis
17Saul Halpin
16Danny Potter
19Danny Stevens

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

me dad reckons the terraces has more than we did at Cheltenham, so we look to have taken over 400, good effort boys
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

2-0

COYY!
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Must win game for us today, come on united!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hi everyone

stockport 1 down already to ac morthampton........... :'( :@

and even better dirty leeds are 1 down! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

YES!!! ZEBROSKI!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Zebroskiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

ZeebbSSSsssssssssssssssssssssss :keepie: