League 2: Burton Albion vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Agree with Enzo. Bevan in my opinion was at fault for the first two. The bloke is about 10 foot tall yet struggled to get his hands to a shot in the top corner of which he was at the right side of the goal. It was a cracker of a shot admittedly but we just backed off and let their lad pick his spot. Bevs got his hands to it but it found the top corner. Second goal deffo his fault. Burton played a peach of a ball along the floor from the wing across our goal. It evaded one of our defenders and Bevan did not even bother to come out the 5 yards off his line to smother the ball away from the onrushing Pearson. Having slagged bevan off i do want to add that he did produce a goalsaving tip round the post from one of their second half free kicks so credit for that. I found it bizarre that we scored 3 times yet never really created many chances which was disappointing. Kees goal was a beauty though and we now need get at least a draw on friday and beat rotherham who are out of the play off reckoning now anyway. I cannot see all the teams above us winning both their games. Someone will slip up and we've just got to do our bit now. 4 points and we are in with a good shout but i really feel in my heart of hearts that we need all 6. I just cannot believe Accrington are above us man! I hate them and their shit ground and 4 fans! I,ve got more cows than theyve got fans!! If they go up i will cry.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Back home now. Couldn't believe we were 2-0 up without really starting to play at all. One silly/comical error by their lad for the first and then a simple passing move for the second. Easy finish by Tomlin. However, from then, we looked vulnerable. Very vulnerable. I don't know what it is, but it seems there is some sort of psychological barrier that forces doubt and uncertainty to creep into players' minds when we're ahead. I don't know what causes it, but we didn't seem bothered. A fantastic effort by McGrath, who was the best player on the pitch, I thought (it might have been him messing around for the opener, if it was he certainly redeemed himself!). Don't know what else Bevs could have done for that one, was a peach. Their second goal came from sloppy, sloppy defending. You'd expect to see this sort of defending at WBB, not in League 2. I personally blame Manse for it - lost the ball near their box, chased around then was in the left back area when the ball was played to where he should be. Got to say, I think that was his worst performance for years - maybe even since he joined us. I am struggling to remember one so bad - he was constantly beaten by Malone, who caused alot of problems. T'was disappointing.

I moaned when Kee came on as he was cack against Wycombe, and he never looked like doing much - wasted one effort, overhit crosses etc. Until he scored a spectacular goal. It was like Norfampton all over. Calm as you like, just curled it over the keeper and in. Excellent effort.

On a day we never got going - I think the 110% effort for 95 minutes against Wycombe is a reason - we've taken a point from a side whos league position is very deceiving. Had they not have had their ridiculous schedule, they'd be a lot higher.

It does seem like it's going to be tough now, but we have a bit of rest time now, and we host a very pressured Chesterfield. They'll have an expectant following, and we seem to play better against the top teams.

Heres hoping...
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I guess it shows how far we have to come to be so deflated with a point away from home which has caused us to losing our play-off position. I didn't expect us to be in the promotion hunt with two games to go at the start of the season, but that still doesn't mask the disappointment of today's results and the prospect of missing out on a top-seven finish.

As for the game, I thought a draw was a fair result. We were fortunate to be two ahead early on. The first was down to some shocking defending and sheer determination from Zebs who deserves that goal for the miles he's put in this season. Our second was a neat passing move into the box which was finished off by Tomlin. I thought we looked fairly comfortable at 2-0 with the exception of Mansell who was being rinsed by their left winger and will have needed a few paracetamols at half-time. But McGrath was afforded time and space on the edge of our box and punished us with a curler into the top corner to halve the deficit. Thought Bevan was helpless. The same can't be said for their equaliser. Bevan let a cross run along our six-yard box to the back post where Pearson got ahead of Oastler (covering for walkabout Manse) to tuck in. Hesitant goalkeeping and we'd thrown away yet another lead.

It didn't take long in the second half for Zola to head the hosts in front. He should have been marked tighter, but the attack stemmed from when Mansell carelessly lose possession on the right. I couldn't see us scoring an equaliser. We weren't creating clear-cut chances, but Kee bent in a delightful shot from 20 yards to get us back on level terms. After that, Burton went closest to scoring a winner. Bevan made a couple of decent saves and Webster, I think, missed a sitter from six yards after we failed to clear a corner. Aside from a couple of Branston headers, we didn't threaten much.

MOTM for me was either Zebs or Tomlin. Both scored, used the ball well, held it up and brought others into play. Mansell had a shocker - the worst I have ever seen him. Robinson is quickly going off the boil - just as the Shrews fans predicted. O'Kane had a hand in the second goal, but was barely noticeable.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Didn't get to the game today unfortunately but like i've said the last couple of games, 'we're 4th yet we could be 8th' it's still the same principle. No need to get overly happy or too deflated. Thanks to the FL/our incompetence in finishing games we're 8th instead of being well set in the playoffs, we've 2 games to go and it's still all to play for. But we must win at least 1 of them, 4 points I'd say is the minium requirement to get a top 7 spot.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Have to say (just like most on here) we were 2-0 up against the run of play. For a while it looked like Burton's heads had dropped, but as soon as they scored their first, they settled into the game and should have beaten us. We gave up the ball way too many times with sloppy passes or just not controlling the ball.

At half time both Scott and Mark (they know who they are) went on their usual head hunt for Buckle. Yes we let in 2 goals but sometimes fans like them need to keep their mouths shut and remain positive. Appreciate everyone has their opinion, but when no one cares what you have to say or doesn't agree with you it is bigger of you to just shut up and let it go.

To be honest I think in the end we were lucky to get away with a draw, I didn't think we were a big enough threat to create an attacking front of any worth.

As for the final whistle...... I haven't read all the comments on here yet, but IMO I was watching the ref and before the ball was even chipped into the box the ref had already started to blow the final whistle. I believe the rules state the ball has to have crossed the line before the first of the 3 whistles. I know there is also some rule (to help create an exciting finale to games rather than 2 teams backing off for a draw) the ref can hold off the whistle if either team seem to be attacking with an oportunity to score. I thought Stanley was off side any way when he put the ball in the net.

I am not happy we gave a 2-0 lead away and we played awful for most of the game, but am happy we made a point from a game we could / should have lost.

Well done to the travelling Yellow Army, great atmosphere under anxious circumstances.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I'm glad Nickgull has pointed out that Bevan wasn't soely to blame for our loss of points today.

Had we have closed people down like Burton did then we may have seen a different result yesterday.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Haven't read through all comments yet, but Jeff's report on the previous page looks spot on, and the Burton provided one in a seperate thread is also pretty accurate.

I'd like to add that all 3 of their goals came from defensive mistakes. First one, Branston follows Zola out of the middle at a throw in, leaving loads of space for their midfielder to stroll into and shoot. Yes it was a good shot, and maybe Bevs could've done more with it, but someone else should be picking up the forward going to the ball. Second and third goals both came from Mansell losing the ball on the edge of their box (third a particularly bad give away). I don't object to our full backs getting forward, but if we lose the ball with no one covering we're gonna be in trouble. Would also have been nice to see someone take charge of the ball bobbling across our 6 yard box on their second.

While Burton looked far too good to be fighting relegation they were lucky at times - several poor kicks from their keeper going to a defender rather than a Gull, through passes flicking an ankle and going astray, just little things like that. To their credit, they pressed well and were usually first to loose balls so probably earned that luck.

Ref was poor. I have no dispute with the non-goal at the end (we fannyed around with it far too much, must've known it was nearly time and should've put the ball in the box), but he allowed some very physical challenges and booked LRT and Oastler for nothing. I thought Branston's card was going to be red the way he pranced around and waved away players who weren't approaching him, and it was only his reaction that made the crowd think it was a bad challenge.

I'll try and end on a positive note - we're still unbeaten in a long time and still have a chance. Bucks and the players know what they have to do and I'm sure they'll keep their heads up and give it their all. Regardless of what happens we've had a great season. I just don't want it to end in 2 games.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Just watched the highlights on Gullsplayer. Poor defending cost us dear there, although Stanley was onside when the ref blew for full time. Maybe I'm being petty but why blow for full time when a team is attacking so close to the penalty area, at least wait until the ball is kicked away from the area. No point moaning about it now I guess, whats done is done.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Well it was entertaining, but not a game for the feint hearted.

Jeff s report cannot be bettered.

I thought it was a fair result in a topsy-turvey match. Our pretensions to be a promotion winning side were exposed at times with both full backs being skinned at regular intervals.

However up front we displayed some quality and our second and third goals were a joy to behold.

And so now on to Friday which has changed from being a mustn t lose to become a must win ...

They never make it easy at TUFC do they?
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)