Shrewsbury vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Shrewsbury vs Torquay Match Thread

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Two successive home defeats, slipping down the table, and an away trip to one of the early pacesetters. Just what we need to get back on track. Its a no-pressure game, in my mind, because everyone will expect Shrewsbury to beat us, and continue our dismal run. It's amazing how much a season can change over a month, but now Septembers done with - we can move on and hope that the terrible form comes to an end.

Onto the opposition. Shrewsbury have recently moved into the Greenhous Meadow, formerly known as the New Meadow, after leaving Gay Meadow, which was their home for many years. They have been extremely unlucky in recent seasons, as they have failed to get out of this league, but I think they could do it this season. They have an experienced manager, in Graham Turner, and I think they have a strong enough side to finish in the top 3, the top 7 at the very least.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 10th place - 61 points
2006/07 - League 2 - 7th place - 71 points
2007/08 - League 2 - 18th place - 50 points
2008/09 - League 2 - 7th place - 69 points
2009/10 - League 2 - 12th place - 63 points

So as shown, they have been an established top half side, who have missed out in the playoffs on two different occasions in the last 5 years, in the final to Bristol Rovers, and the semi-final to Bury in 2008/09. I get the impression that their 18th place finish in 2007/08 was just a blip, and that they will be up in the playoffs again this season.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Shrewsbury wins - 23 (including 3 in cup games)
Torquay wins - 28
Draws - 12

We have a slightly better record in this head-to-head, and recent games between the sides have been very good for Torquay. We have lost once to Shrewsbury in the last 14 meetings, which looks good. We had a good record at Gay Meadow since the turn of the millenium, winning there in 2001/02, 2002/03 and 2005/06.

FORM. (LAST 6 GAMES)

WWLWDL

Their recent defeats at Gillingham and Port Vale are the only two defeats in their last 6. They have beaten Oldham in the Johnstones Paint Trophy, and recorded league wins over Rotherham and Northampton. They have a good record at the Greenhous Meadow, winning all games but 1 so far, including beating Charlton in the Carling Cup.

PROBABLE LINE-UP.

This is the lineup that started at Port Vale:

Chris Neal

David Raven
Ian Sharps
Shane Cansdell-Sherriff
Matt Sadler

Mark Wright
Kevin McIntyre
Craig Disley
Lionel Ainsworth

Jake Robinson
Matt Harrold

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, the players to watch are the front two that started at Vale. Jake Robinson and Matt Harrold. Harrold may not score that many, but Robinson has started the season expertly, among the top scorers in the league so far, with 6 goals, and 1 in cup competitions. Lionel Ainsworth is a winger with electric pace, and he will need to be watched tightly, in my opinion.

PREDICTION.

Not a clue. Recent results would suggest a home win, but not a mountain of pressure on our lads could pay off.

I think we'll take a point.

Shrews 1-1 Gulls.
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by manchestergulls »

looking forward to this one, what is the best watering hole before the game? see you all there
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
follow me on twitter @manchestergull
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Totally off topic, manchestergulls, but I saw someone on Call of Duty the other day with their gamertag the same as your username on here, was that you?

Regarding where to drink, theres some suggestions here; http://www.footballgroundguide.com/shrewsbury_town/
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I'm afraid that I cannot see us getting anything from this one. We can't score goals at the moment and our defence has suddenly developed a cullender-like tendancy.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Two home defeats on the trot (and three dire performances); tactics that are eccentric; winning streak gone, losing streak arrived - a recipe for disaster. Sooner or later we're going to get a thumping, and this could be it. So:
Shrewsbury Town (2) 6
Torquay United (0) 1.

Att: 6,006.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Not an easy one to predict. It could go one of 3 ways.
We could score more than them, thus we win.
They could score more than us, thus we lose.
We could both end up with the same number of goals (if at all), thus we draw.

As for drinking, we all met at the Brooklands Hotel last time, and it is a handy place to park, unless the club are actually going to open up their stupidly oversized car park to fans, rather than keep it empty again?

Personally I think this is going to be the start of our come back, 2-0.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

The stewards were lovely last year, they let us park right outside the entrance because I was preggers.
Could do with the walk this time round :Oops:
Anyway can't predict this one but not feeling very confident. Want the win but would take a point.
Hoping for 4-4-2!
:)
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I don't think we'll get a hammering. We may be narrowly defeated. But being a positiive type I'll go for a 1-1. With Billy Kee coming on late in the game to score.

In terms of line up there has been a call for a return to basics, despite many people coming up with elaborate formations when we were winning, trying to incorporate O'Kane into the side. My no-nonsense, back to basics 11 is;

Bevan

Robertson Branston Ellis (Hopefully) Nicholson
Macklin Wroe Mansell Zebroski
Benyon Gritton

Macklin is in because pace is definately a basic requirement.
TUST number 080
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Totally off topic, manchestergulls, but I saw someone on Call of Duty the other day with their gamertag the same as your username on here, was that you?

not me but my son....
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

NickGull wrote:Totally off topic, manchestergulls, but I saw someone on Call of Duty the other day with their gamertag the same as your username on here, was that you?

Regarding where to drink, theres some suggestions here; http://www.footballgroundguide.com/shrewsbury_town/

no not me but me son....
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Surely from the Aldershot game we must have realised some things. Surely Carlisle's performance merits a start, he put in a great shift, and gave our strikers some options, something which our other wingers with all due respect havent been doing the past few games. I think Eunan playing in the middle could work, but he wouldnt be able to thrive like he did at stevenage in the role, as he has more defensive duties, which I think given a run in the sqaud he would be able to fulfill them well enough. The pace of robinson might be too much for us to handle I think. We just need to go out defensive, and try and get Benyon or Kee in behind. Knowing Buckle, we will go 4-5-1. We go 4-5-1, ill say 4-1 Shrewsbury. go 4-4-2, I say 1-1.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Can't go to this one, even though this was a planned one for me :| .

I'll have to enjoy the Ryder Cup!

Hopefully Kee will get a start!

A win needed but I think a draw is the best we can do.

2-2

Bevan

Robbo
Branston
Charnock
Nico

Stevens
Manse
??????? - maybe O'Kane???
Wayne

Zeb
Kee
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I really want to win this game - I have an uncle who is a Shrewsbury season ticket holder and we've been communicating regularly the past few weeks; I just want the chance to rub it in his face, which as everybody knows, is the whole point of being a football supporter.

Shrewsbury 1 (O'Kane o.g. 90+4)
Torquay 7 (Benyon 1,4,8 Branston 51, Kee 78 + 83, O'Kane, 90+3)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

happytorq wrote: Shrewsbury 1 (O'Kane o.g. 90+4)
Torquay 7 (Benyon 1,4,8 Branston 51, Kee 78 + 83, O'Kane, 90+3)

Love it :lol: :lol: :) :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Think we need to move things back to basics, we have a good defence, we have a reasonable midfield, we appear to have lost the last two games to teams that have had players that can whack a ball, players that we don't have appear to have.

Can't see us taking anything from this match, Shrews. involve quite a bit of "gamesmanship". 2-0 to them I fear.

I'd happily take a point right now.

Thats us winning 0-4 then