League 2: Torquay United vs Wycombe Wanderers

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

How on earth didn't we win that today?

I've never said ooh, aah or argh so many times at a match!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

RussianGull wrote:How on earth didn't we win that today?

I've never said ooh, aah or argh so many times at a match!
I have, but it was international 'Speak like a pirate' day, so we were all at it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A superb game, we so deserved to win!! The whole team showed so much desire to win & I for one was proud of them
I am a big fan of Craig Stanley but he takes needless risks arguing with the referee & getting an unnessary yellow card
Referees do not change their mind & surely its best to get on with it however bad the decision. Craig what do you gain for the team by arguing?
NOTHING!! You have made a major contribution to United and i do hope you will be with us next season in league one of course!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

ferrarilover wrote: I have, but it was international 'Speak like a pirate' day, so we were all at it.

Matt.
I had pirate as my Facebook language. That was amusing for a while.

Anyhoo. Regarding Jake Robinson, from those that have seen him throughout his time here would you say that Shrewsbury fans were correct when saying he starts out well then disappears in games or loses interest?
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

I thought we were pretty good yesterday - wouldn't go as far as some other reports I have read and heard on the radio, but it is very true that with more composed finishing we could have been clear. This is very impressive considering we were playing a team who have been in the automatic places all season. Particularly in the second half we dominated and created some very good chances........and then panicked. We looked pretty nervy in the final third from the off and should have scored at least three. That said Wycombe are a decent side and awlays posed a threat on the breakaway.

I also found it strange that the pitch was so heavily watered immediately prior to each half. Zebs looked like bambi on ice early on. I have not previously been too impressed with Tomlin, but yesterday was by far his best game for us - he held the ball up well and brought others into the game with some neat touches. He turned very nicely in the box in the first half and then blazed a shot just over.

There were plenty of other postives all over the park. Branston's was pretty much the most dominant performance from a centre back I have seen in a long time. He also was very unlucky not to score with a couple of great headers. The defence in general played well - there was a pretty even battle between Nicho and Ainsworth - a player I have always rated and Mansell did well against Betsy. I was a little concerned at the space we allowed Wycombe to come at us. Whilst Stanley was superb, we looked a little too open. Personally, I prefer Oastler to Lanthorpe.

When Murray's header came off the underside of the bar you knew it was not going to be our day - Wycombe looked more likely to nick it as we entered the three added minutes. Hopefully the luck that has deserted us in front of goal in recent games will turn in the next three matches. Stevenage's loss ensures that whatever happens in the matches today we will be in a play off position at kick off on Monday. Burton will certainly be tricky - we at Torquay United know how a team at the bottom will defy their league postion in these type of matches. However, if we can sneak a win it will be a massive result given the other games that are taking place on Monday - Stevenage v Port Vale, Shrewsbuty v Accy and Rotherham v Gillingham. Some massive games - We are the only team in the top eleven not to be playing each other. Time to make it count.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Enzo wrote:I thought we were pretty good yesterday - wouldn't go as far as some other reports I have read and heard on the radio, but it is very true that with more composed finishing we could have been clear. This is very impressive considering we were playing a team who have been in the automatic places all season. Particularly in the second half we dominated and created some very good chances........and then panicked. We looked pretty nervy in the final third from the off and should have scored at least three. That said Wycombe are a decent side and awlays posed a threat on the breakaway.

I also found it strange that the pitch was so heavily watered immediately prior to each half. Zebs looked like bambi on ice early on. I have not previously been too impressed with Tomlin, but yesterday was by far his best game for us - he held the ball up well and brought others into the game with some neat touches. He turned very nicely in the box in the first half and then blazed a shot just over.

There were plenty of other postives all over the park. Branston's was pretty much the most dominant performance from a centre back I have seen in a long time. He also was very unlucky not to score with a couple of great headers. The defence in general played well - there was a pretty even battle between Nicho and Ainsworth - a player I have always rated and Mansell did well against Betsy. I was a little concerned at the space we allowed Wycombe to come at us. Whilst Stanley was superb, we looked a little too open. Personally, I prefer Oastler to Lanthorpe.

When Murray's header came off the underside of the bar you knew it was not going to be our day - Wycombe looked more likely to nick it as we entered the three added minutes. Hopefully the luck that has deserted us in front of goal in recent games will turn in the next three matches. Stevenage's loss ensures that whatever happens in the matches today we will be in a play off position at kick off on Monday. Burton will certainly be tricky - we at Torquay United know how a team at the bottom will defy their league postion in these type of matches. However, if we can sneak a win it will be a massive result given the other games that are taking place on Monday - Stevenage v Port Vale, Shrewsbuty v Accy and Rotherham v Gillingham. Some massive games - We are the only team in the top eleven not to be playing each other. Time to make it count.
Those are the key issues. Three games to go we will still be in the playoff places regardless of what happens today, which i think is a scenario we would all have taken at the start of the season - or even taken as late as February. Depending on how Shrewsbury get on today, we could still only be 5 points off automatic with 3 games left. Exactly the same gap at this point in 2003/4. Still a massive long shot, but we're still right in there. Personally though, I think automatic promotion has gone for us, and we need to ensure we focus on getting a playoff place.

Burton will be a tricky game, but they are in very poor form. It could go either way for them - they could raise their game with the threat of relegation very real or they could buckle under the pressure in front of their home fans. If we put in a performance then we all know it will be enough. If we can get a win and all the 3 key games end in draws, we will be in a very promising position.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Jeff wrote:Three games to go we will still be in the playoff places regardless of what happens today, which i think is a scenario we would all have taken at the start of the season - or even taken as late as February
i'd have taken that yesterday!!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

that triggered great memories of that day in southend!! still cant believe the results went for us, just as i cannot belive they all conspired against us one short year later at colchester, altho our embarrassingly limp display gave us what we deserve!! i think that was the most angry i've been at a torquay team that i can remember, oh except the 2nd leg v exeter of course, but i'm still trying to blank that one out!!
still keeping the faith
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

With 2 very toug looking games just gone, we were thinking we were going to need 6, or at least 4 points from those games just to still be in the play offs. I agree automatics is probably gone (I'd rather go up in the the play offs due to finances/excitement!) but in terms of our play off shot, we have come out of those two games with 2 points, no worse a position (in fact a slightly strengthened position) and I would say in realistic terms Auto's were always a very long shot.

Lets hope it goes well for the rest of the season, but regardless, what a great season, how nice is it to be nervous about not making the play offs, rather than relegation!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Everyones probably out in the sun, but as I'm at work I've jsut spotted that Gillingham 3-1 down to Barnet, and Port Vale down at Stockport. Thats got to be good news!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Just watched the highlights on Gullsplayer and all I can say is HOW DID WE NOT SCORE!?

Still, unbeaten in 9 matches I think now and looking very dangerous as well. It's all about form at this stage and we are in good form. Victory at Burton will hopefully give us some breathing space from teams below us, although there's still a lot of football to be played until the end of the season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

What was going on on the Popside towards the end of the game when the security monkeys were loping up and down for ages before pulling some middle - aged guy out with a Motorhead T shirt out and chickening him up?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Saw him get dragged out and his mate was shouting abuse at them on his way out of the game no idea what it was about unless he was the cretin singing about Rendell's kid...
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

What's the relevance of Rendell's kid?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

chippygull wrote:What's the relevance of Rendell's kid?

http://www.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co ... -27908316/