League 2: Torquay United vs Wycombe Wanderers

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Torquay United vs Wycombe Wanderers

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Friday 22nd April 2011
KO: 3pm

Just 4 games remain. Back in August, many of us on here were living more in hope than expectation of the fact that we d have something to play for with 4 games remaining. We ve held our own in a tough league all season long, and I, aswell as everybody else, am hoping that we don t let it slip now. A season with many more ups than downs, and as we enter the final three weeks of the season, there is plenty up for grabs. We have a chance, albeit a slim one, of breaking into the top 3, but that is exceeding our expectations already. If you offered us a playoff place in August, we d have bitten your arm off. But now it is a reality. We re not there yet, though. 4 very tough games remain, starting on Friday afternoon at home to Wycombe.

The Chairboys have had a wonderful season, too. They sit in 3rd place, 5 points and 2 places above us. That is why this is probably the biggest league game of the season, by far. If we win, we close the gap to 2 points. If Wycombe win, they go 8 ahead of us, virtually crushing the slight chance of finishing in the top 3. They will be looking to return to League One again, the division they left last year.

GULLS NEWS.

We welcome the return of loanee Craig Stanley, after suspension. I expect him to slot into the midfield, accompanying either Lathrope or Oastler. I would hope that Mr Buckle decides not to play Billy Kee on the wing again, as it was totally useless, in my opinion.

CONSEQUENCES.

As already mentioned, we could close the gap to 2 points with the victory over our opposition. However, a defeat would put us 8 points behind them, with 9 left to play for. That would mean that it would be near on impossible to catch them and potentially 3rd spot, depending on how other results go. Wycombe can move to just 1 points behind Bury, if they pick up the points and Bury lose.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

Torquay – DWDWWD

Wycombe – DWWDDD

Two teams with very similar form, heading into this one. We have won 3 and drawn 3, while Wycombe have won 2 and drawn 4. As you can see, both are unbeaten. Wycombe have played 3 away from home in that time, winning 1, drawing 2. We have played at Plainmoor 3 times, winning 2 and drawing 1. We are 8 unbeaten at Plainmoor, as well as an 8 game unbeaten streak, too.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the way Wycombe lined up in their 2-2 home draw with Northampton last weekend:

Bull

Foster, Winfield, Johnson, Sandell

Betsy, Montrose, Lewis, Donnelly

Rendell, Pittman

Subs: Arnold, McCoy, Westwood, Murtagh, Bloomfield, Strevens, Beavon.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

As you can see, Gareth Ainsworth wasn t in the squad. He has been one of their best players throughout the season, so I am hoping he is still injured for Friday! We know about Scott Rendell, who I expect will get a good reception on Friday. Pittman is a pacey striker, so will need to be kept quiet or he could cause problems. The same goes to Betsy; despite being fairly old, he still has a fair bit of pace and could cause some problems on the right wing.

PREDICTION.

My heart says a 2-1 win, with 4,000+ in attendance. My head says a draw.

COYY!!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Shame I don't get back in time to make this one!

I'm saying 1-1 but I can just see a 2-1 defeat here unfortunately!
Benno
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by Benno »

Annoyed that I can't make it due to work, but will be at Chesterfield and maybe Rotherham away.

As much as I want to win this one I can see it being a draw, although a win would be MASSIVE.

COYY
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Any chance of automatic promotion rests on Torquay winning this, lose and that dream is over and it'll make the playoffs that much harder to reach also. While we are 5th, we could easily be 8th.

I saw the away game at Wycombe where we put in our best display to win easily 3-1, I think we'll need something similar because Wycombe know they also need a good result on Friday and they won't be as bad as they were that night again. Otherwise their top 3 place is in jeopardy.

I'm going so it probably means another draw. This season I've seen games against Port Vale (0-0), Northampton (2-2), Cheltenham (2-2), Rotherham (1-1), Bournemouth (0-0), Hereford (2-2), Gillingham (1-1) only seeing 2 wins (Crewe 2-1), Wycombe (3-1) and defeats against Aldershot (1-0) and Reading (1-0)

So draw looks likely, 1-1.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

After seeing us demolish Wycombe at Adams Park it is hard to believe they are 3rd in the league, but they are, and clearly quite capable of raising the quality of their game considerably. Kevin Betsy is a class player, despite his age, and we will need to close him down as he can create chances and score.I have a good feeling about this and will say 2-0, one in each half with Craig Stanley netting on his return and Zebbers finishing it off in the 82 minute
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

We have secured some good results without Stanley. Many of us thought we may struggle a little without him, but we have held our own. Let's hope with him back (at Oastlers expense??), that we raise our game again.
Let's hope Branno is boosted by his award earlier this week and puts on another fine display.

If we are on our game I see no reason why we won't win this one and continue our push for automatic promotion.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I'll go for a narrow 2-1 win. Will be bringing with me a three mates from Norway for this game. One of them being a Wycombe fan, so we better win this one :) We also plan to watch Gillingham - Barnet and Bradford - Aldershot. And in between these games we'll watch a Rugby match (Saracens - Gloucester)

Looking forward to spending Easter in England again :)

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

We played well at Wycombe (it was the day we all thought it would be Benyon's last game) winning 3-1 against a fairly good Wycombe side.

My heart says 1-0 win, but my head is saying we will draw, and with Accrington and Gillingham winning their games we will be knocked out of the play offs.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ah, Rickl, excellent...

Du er elven og jeg er havet.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

rickl wrote:I'll go for a narrow 2-1 win. Will be bringing with me a three mates from Norway for this game. One of them being a Wycombe fan, so we better win this one :) We also plan to watch Gillingham - Barnet and Bradford - Aldershot. And in between these games we'll watch a Rugby match (Saracens - Gloucester)

Looking forward to spending Easter in England again :)

-Eirik-
Will you be in Boots & Laces/Union Inn after the game :-D ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I'm hoping we'll do as we've done for the big teams recently and raise our game to secure that win, so I'll go 1-0 Gulls.

In the event that we don't manage this and do drop out of the playoff spots I hope no heads go down, because with a few of our rivals still to play each other I think we'll be back in come Monday, and having finally succumbed to looking at everyone else's fixtures I don't think Wycombe and Shrewsbury will both drop enough points to let us into the last automatic spot. However, a playoff spot is in our hands and very achievable, even if we drop points on Friday, and as the author said we'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start of the season.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I wonder how the sun will affect the game tomorrow, set to be a scorcher.

I'm really looking forward to seeing who Buckle picks for our midfield, I think this is one of the bigger matches of our season so experience will be key, would like to see Eunan come on to spice it up a bit though as by all account he appears to be having a real affect on the team of late.

COYY.

a very nervy 2-0 with Zebs getting the both.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

2-1 zebs, Robinson, rendell for them late on.

3999 attendance
The gulls are going up
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Here we are then, the next game in this season's adventure.

Many times this season I've seen glum faces leaving Plainmoor after a draw, like last Saturday for example.

We moved not up or down. So why the glum faces ?

Please win tomorrow TUFC or I will have to look some really disappointed GRIM faces direct in the eye.

:whistle: . . . "Always look on the bright side of life . . . :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Trojan 67 wrote:Here we are then, the next game in this season's adventure.

Many times this season I've seen glum faces leaving Plainmoor after a draw, like last Saturday for example.

We moved not up or down. So why the glum faces ?

Please win tomorrow TUFC or I will have to look some really disappointed GRIM faces direct in the eye.

:whistle: . . . "Always look on the bright side of life . . . :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Personally Troj, I am delighted that there were glum faces leaving Plainmoor following a draw with Port Vale, it shows just how far we have come this season that a 4 points from 6 against a team as big as Vale is seen as slightly disappointing.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"