League 2: Torquay United vs Port Vale

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

sorry!! seven draws today, another game less and still in playoffs, gonna be a tough one on friday
still keeping the faith
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

realistically all our play off rivals drew today, had we won we would have been up there but a draw isn't so bad, we must win on Friday and Monday to keep us in contention. coyy
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Just looking at next weeks fixtures, can see Gillingham and Stanley winning. Stevenage may find it tough at Southend. Hopefully we can make home advantage count next week.

Bury v Lincoln City, 15:00
Crewe v Morecambe, 15:00
Southend v Stevenage, 15:00
Torquay v Wycombe, 15:00
Northampton v Rotherham, 19:45

Saturday, 23 April 2011
Hereford v Shrewsbury, 13:00
Accrington Stanley v Bradford, 15:00
Aldershot v Burton Albion, 15:00
Cheltenham v Macclesfield, 15:00
Gillingham v Barnet, 15:00
Oxford Utd v Chesterfield, 15:00
Port Vale v Stockport, 15:00
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

That was rubbish until the 85th minute. We missed Stanley - having 5 players on the pitch who are all very attacking (Zebs, Kee, Jake, Eunan and Tomlin) was a bad move. No substance to the midfield.

Nowhere near the best performance I've seen this year - just hope we can step it up for Wycombe. Also, Bucks, Billy Kee is not a winger. He has limited/no pace, and is therefore absolutely ineffective and useless out there. Just for future reference, y'know.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Think that is a bit harsh. First match I've seen in a while but I thought we started well but didn't get any breaks. Things unravelled a bit in the second half and the game was scrappy. Last 5 either side could have nicked it.
TUST number 080
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Bean's on toast barmy army!!!,beans on toast barmy army!!!,with a bit of chip's and gravy :clap: .

0.0 fair result,not much else to say.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

On a different note, when all the singers moved to the corner, I stayed in the middle, and you couldnt hear the guys in the corner. That is how bad the acoustics is on the Pop..
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Yes, the acoustics are awful and 'the yellow army' are fighting a losing battle imo. I wish we had the mini stand back.
On a side note, it was a laugh when the singers came down the end. The away fans can hardly ever hear the fans in the middle so not alot of bantering can go on, but today was good.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

NickGull wrote:That was rubbish until the 85th minute. We missed Stanley - having 5 players on the pitch who are all very attacking (Zebs, Kee, Jake, Eunan and Tomlin) was a bad move. No substance to the midfield.

Nowhere near the best performance I've seen this year - just hope we can step it up for Wycombe. Also, Bucks, Billy Kee is not a winger. He has limited/no pace, and is therefore absolutely ineffective and useless out there. Just for future reference, y'know.

Didn't miss much then! :)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yeah, cheers for telling me you weren't coming!! Coulda used your ticket! :~D
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

No match summaries yet?

A pretty even game that probably ended up as a fair result. It was entertaining enough with some nice interplay from both sides. You can see why Vale have one of the stingier defences in this division (only Bury and Stevenage have tighter defences). Every time we looked to pull the trigger there was always a Vale foot just blocking the final ball, apart from Zebs smacking the post in the closing stages, soon followed by Rigg (?) doing the same with the crossbar. I thought their strike pair of Richards were quite anonymous, perhaps because Robbo and Branners kept them well marshalled. We seemed to be playing 4-4-2 when Vale had the ball and 4-2-4 when we had it. Certainly a bold attacking plot and was probably the most likely route to get a goal. Zebs was rightly MoM yet again. He sure covers a lot of ground, either with the ball or closing down and pressurising when we havnt got it. Defence looked pretty solid throughout, midfield did well considering the formation used. OKane did well slotted alongside Lathrope, I wouldnt have thought the 2 together would work at all, but they seemed fine. The attackers needed to switch it around more but, to be fair, the Vale defence looked solid and hard to break down. Not the best performance of the season but certainly nowhere near the worst. A good game for the neutrals i would suggest :)
Last edited by Fletch on 17 Apr 2011, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
mcgull1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodny Jack Jack Jack

Post by mcgull1 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, can't say that too often about a 0-0, but thought both teams had plenty of solid, professional league 2 players generally knocking the ball around well. We all know there have been some pretty poor teams down here this season but can see Vale pushing for promotion next season with a couple of additions, thought they looked dangerous on the break all afternoon.

Must say on our own performance, as soon as Danny came on the team looked much narrower and it affected our game. Even with Jake not at his best, he does tend to hog the touchline and give us more options out wide than Danny, who tends to drop far too deep and almost look like a second left-back.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

buckle out anyone??
still keeping the faith
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

yellowsmiffy wrote:
Billy Kee is evidently not a winger.

Gavin Tomlin is really ineffective as an outright CF.

As for the rest of the team:
Branston was brilliant,
Robbo was poor today.
Robinsion was really poor again like Lincoln,
Lathrope was really decent IMO,
Okane was exposed with a lack of support in the midfield and we needed Oastler to free him up. Played against a physical team and managed to compete.
This is where different views on how people perform amuse's me

Billy kee as a winger - completly agree, he was ineffective and offered very little going forward, and didn't offer much in the opposite direction. On the other hand I thought that Robinson was far more dangerous, he worried their back line everytime he picked up the ball. I don't understand why he was taken off and not Kee.

I disagree about Tomlin, he works very hard, he holds the ball up well, his movement and his pace are a dangerous tool. In my opinion Tomlin up front with Zebroski is the best we can put out up front fromt he players we currently have

Branston was bloody awful today, the second half he improved a little, but he misjudged the flight and movement of the ball every time, he couldn't handle Richards up front at all. He was turned on numerous occasions and left standing looking a complete chump. In fact Richards possed that much of a problem for him, that I noticed half way through the first half Robertson started to mark him instead and was much more effective than Branston was. That said, I though Robertson's performance considering the handful he was picking up was actually very good today. And please don't get me started on Branstons passing!
Lathrope played very well today, and I though Okane worked really hard and had a really good game.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I was about to post much the same in response to smiffs post but Mav has covered almost all of what I would have said. One thing we differ on though, Robertson. I think his decision making is woeful in that he constantly allows a high ball to bounce in front of him when the simple option is to attack the ball and clear any possible danger. Their centre-half did it all game, Robertson put us under pressure several times when not attacking the ball and it's something he's been guilty of all through his time with us.

Branston was awful in the first half, caught out time and time again.

Refereee was ok, no worse than what we're used to although it was a soft decision for the disallowed goal but the lineman gave that, not him.

All in all an enjoyable game for a nil nil and one we would probably have lost not so long ago so if we can take all three against Wycombe we're still on track.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com