League 2: Bradford City v Torquay United 09/04/2011

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Not sure Nick, Furton Albion, or Gurton Albion, or Murton Albion, something like that...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention in my bit about the game: I was very impressed with the way that every corner they had, we kept 2, and sometimes even 3, up on the half way line. You could tell it worried Bradford and I loved it, really shows our confidence just now. It was my first game since January, so I don't know if we've been doing it for a while, but either way I really hope we keep doing it.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:Whoahh! A match thread with just 3 pages?!?! :O

Anyway, excellent result, couldn't listen but it sounds a good performance - you have to play fairly well to win 3-0 away.
It was a nice, sunny, going out day yesterday on the ENGLISH RIVIERA and also it was donkey derby day at Aintree. :whistle:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:fantastic report Tommy. Thanks for that.
Aye, always a good read along side Jeff. A bit early in the month for posting MOTM, but TG is deffo in the running for my vote this month due to consistency over the longer period. :clap:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thank you bix and robc for your match reports. :clap:

Bix in particular gave a very good account of the day from a street walking point of view.

As the Manningham Road is just off the turning into Valley Parade, there was probably a better way of putting that. :whistle:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm reading through page by page, so thank you Bigman for your match report. :clap:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jeff wrote:Worth noting that as neither of Zebs or Branston were booked yesterday, I believe they have passed the amnesty for the "10 yellow cards = 2 match ban" rule. No selection concerns for them for the remainder of the season.
That is of course, that neither sees the dreaded red. :red:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

gulls_aloud wrote:Smashing reports, thanks guys. Jealous not to have been there! My internet was down and I listened to as much of the game as Radio Devon would allow - the magical left foot of Nicholson in goal-scoring mode broke the airways momentarily, but from then on what impressed me the most was the way everything fell seemingly effortlessly into place in a way it so nearly does so very often.

My heart didn't sink as it usually does when we are 1-0 down because I was hearing wave after wave of attack. I agreed with the team selection and substitutions, and the referee seemed to be invisible and let the players get on with their game, intelligently, unselfishly and united. Very proud of the lads today, a massive 3 points and I cannot wait for Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: haha my heart sinks when we are 1-0 UP :)
That's because on a Saturday away day Dave Thomas is the summariser and not bleedin' "midweek away match" Breedy. :clap:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

on the subject of dave thomas i've met him in oub before games at macc and again on saturday, what a thoroughly nice bloke and all round good egg!! theres not much he doesnt know about tufc, been doing the reports as long as i can remember in the herald, never afraid to say what needs to be said!
still keeping the faith
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Cheers for all the match reports, it's great we've got 4 or 5 of you who provide them in such detail for those of us who can't make games.
Top notch stuff!
:clap: :bow: :clap:
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

just got back after spending sunday with family in leeds, after a brill day and result on sat :clap: not a lot more to say really and agree with motm thread postings and reports. however i do think more credit should be given to oastler and lathrope. these two young lads (20 and 21 respectively, if my research is correct) had quite a weight on their shoulders, esp oastler replacing the very-highly-regarded-stanley and having been out of the team for a while one might suspect his confidence to have suffered, i thought they complimented each other well, with lathrope the more slightly going forward and oastler protecting the back four :clap: interesting comment from bucks on the o/s about his team selction too. just my thoughts, as they havent been mentioned much...........
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

NickGull wrote: Someone remind me.. who's our next away game against?
Yeah, we were quick to realise after the game that we've got Burton and Brotherham still to play, so can't complain :~D

Robc's point about leaving men up at corners is also a good one and something I spotted too cos Bradford left no one up when defending - meant Branston and Robertson could both get forward and pose a threat, plus Nicho loitered on the edge of their box and although the one time it dropped to him he lashed it wide, we all know he can be dangerous from that distance. Our more cavalier approach lead to at least one good break, and I'd like to see it continued - while Zebs is useful coming back to help out at set pieces I think the likes of Robinson with his speed and trickery is better equipped to lead the break out.