Nicky Wroe likely to STAY!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I would of dropped out LRT, I don't really see why we needed two defenders on the bench but as you say it was strong today.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Does he really need to go? I thought he had an excellent second half Saturday.

Will be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow!

I hope so
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Hope he starts tommorow. Cracking performance against Morecambe, had a hand in all of our goals, as Buckle said, he has been training harder than ever, and you can see this. So what if he is not technically as good as O'Kane, so what if he cant tackle or go box to box like Mansell can, he puts a shift in, plays the simple balls through, closes people down. Sometimes its all you need for this league. Lets hope he can keep this up, because if he can, he should be took off the transfer list.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

YellowMurphy wrote:Hope he starts tommorow. Cracking performance against Morecambe, had a hand in all of our goals, as Buckle said, he has been training harder than ever, and you can see this. So what if he is not technically as good as O'Kane, so what if he cant tackle or go box to box like Mansell can, he puts a shift in, plays the simple balls through, closes people down. Sometimes its all you need for this league. Lets hope he can keep this up, because if he can, he should be took off the transfer list.

Maybe, he's trying to put himself in the shop window...just like Carayol did!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes, NW had his best game of the season and therefore justifies being in the starting 11 tomorrow.

Hope he has put the recent run of poor performances behind him and that he can recommit to the Club
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

He evidently wants to leave. He isn't going to get spotted by sitting in our stands so he has to take the opportunity to shine when in the team. Carayol was widely criticised for doing much the same thing.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

If thats his best game of the season, it still doesnt say much. I thought he was still quite poor and as for having a hand in all three goals?

The first goal was due to ball getting taken off his feet by a shrimps player, who laid it through for Benners to chase down (shocking ball back to him by Kee TBH). The 2nd goal was a speculative ball into the box, too high for Zebs and straight to a defender who managed to trip over his own feet with the ball bouncing off him out to Rose and the third looked like O'Kane to Rose to Zebs to Benners.

Im sorry if it upsets anyone (Barnsley ;-) ), but if we can get a fee for him in January then snatch the hand off that offers it.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Don't think the commentary team were particularly complimentary about him on Saturday, especially not in the first half. On a good day, he's great, but he's not indispenable and I doubt that we will be seeing much more of him, despite what Bucks said on the O/S.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I've been a little surprised at the lack of concern shown by some at the likelihood of Nicky Wroe leaving.
I assumed his abilities were appreciated to a higher extent than they evidently are.

To me he never looked like the type of player Buckle would favour, or one who would find it easy to flourish within Buckle's preferred
style of play. But of course PB did sign him & Nicky has put in some excellent performances during his time here.

Personally I don't think he will be particularly easy to replace & will prove to be a bigger loss to our midfield than many are expecting.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I agree. For those old enough to remember, the John McGovern syndrome, you only notice him when he wasn't there.
TUST number 080
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wodger-of-Awabia wrote:I can't see him playing for Torquay again under P.B. [see Woods, Sills, Hargreaves]. Buckle for whatever reason has placed him on the transfer list & want's to see him off to another club. No doubt N.W. wants 1st. team football so it's in everyones best interest to loan him out to any interested parties for the rest of the season. If he does well at his new club they may pay a small fee to sign him.

you'd better pop to specsavers then.......... ;-)

as i said funny that he plays in the last 2 games and we win them both, and as other posters have said on another thread, you can also see what he brings to the team when hes in it, and what the team miss when he isnt.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Or, to add a maybe less biased slant on the idea - perhaps he needed time to sort his head out, lose the captaincy and have a rest for a bit.

OR, maybe he is doing a Muzzy.......

Either way, time will tell.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

since he's come back; not as captain, his performances seem to be improving but whether this is just to get a bigger club look at him who knows.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

If Wroe wanted to leave, he probably wouldnt have played against Oxford or morecambe, if Wroe wanted to leave he wouldnt be training harder than ever. Can you not remember when Nicholson went through an awful patch last season? Came back stronger than ever. I agree with Alpine Joe, people underestimate Wroe. Just because he is not flying in with goal saving tackles, or pulling off 50 yard crossfield balls he isnt good enough? All our midfielders need to do is give it to our wingers, or play basic through balls. Wroe is okay defensively, he closes people down, and does enough, Mansell is there for the tackling and winning 50/50 balls. He is a good balanced central midfielder, and since he hasnt been captain, it seems like its been a weight off of his shoulders. After Oxford he was hugging Buckle apparently. I think Wroe will be taken off the transfer list, and play better than ever, just maybe not as a captain. If we sell Wroe for less than 50k it is criminal.
Derrick Dawkins
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Derrick Dawkins »

Hopefully we will see an end to this one way or the other soon!!