League 2: Torquay United vs Lincoln City

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 869430.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Tilsons abit deluded if he thinks they deserved anything from that. They came for a point and went away with none.

Dull first half I thought. Second half was better and we deserved to win...

I didnt think Lincoln were "comfortable" at any point of the game in all honesty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

AlexGulls wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 869430.stm

I think Tilsons abit deluded if he thinks they deserved anything from that. They came for a point and went away with none.

Dull first half I thought. Second half was better and we deserved to win...

I didnt think Lincoln were "comfortable" at any point of the game in all honesty.
Just standard manager speak to be honest ,Alex,i would not expect the guy to say anything else with his team at the wrong end of the league,he has got to say thing's try and instill belief and confidence,so why not paint a rosie picture.

You are right however,Lincoln allways looked second best.
Formerly known as forevertufc
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Rubbish match but great result, very very happy. It means I can return to Lincolnshire for the holiday and gloat!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Absolutely agree Alex, they had the sum total of a backpass from 25 yards from Muzzy and that save from Scotty (which hardly came from world beating play) and that was it for them. However, as Dave says, they are at the wrong end of the table (sort of) and their manager is not going to add insult to injury for his players by having a go. If he's totally honest, we've hit a post, had 4 cleared off the line (3 in one incident and one the guy didn't know anything about), with a little more luck, it could have been 5-0 TUFC without a great deal happening differently.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

bixieupnorth wrote:can anyone give her a knock up to check shes ok please??
:O

Actually had a Saturday off from t'pub yesterday, was due to pick up my new (old) car Friday afternoon, so had arranged to go to this game. Hey ho, car wasn't ready till yesterday afternoon. Managed to sit through Steve Claridge's monotonous sh**e and saw the extensive coverage on FL Show though... Delighted we won even with Dave P and Super doing banned things during the thread.

Oh, and Bix, please could you back Carlisle today.... :whistle:
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Gotta be happy with that yesterday. When both goals went in I was well connected to large scaly things with fins trying to pull me around a lake in Northants. YES!!! I screamed as the goals were announced on TALKSPORT. My fellow d'anglers thought I had an attack of tourettes!!!

These are the games we need to win and despite me thinking we are not ready for a tilt at promotion I aint going to turn it down. I am starting to change my mind on that one. Good battling win and in a game where we used to drop points regularly. Onwards and upwards :clap:
Oblivion!!!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Mark Yates of Cheltenham is without doubt the most one eyed biased/funny manager in the league. Following on from him actually thinking they deserved something against us the other week, I am just browsing the BBC, where their report of yesterdays match inolving Cheltenham has the quote' Browny's had 1 shot to save'

They lost 8-1 at Crewe.

Maybe he should have tried the other 8 'non' shots.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It was a very familiar story during that first 45 minutes, and it came as very little surprise. We have an incredible ability to almost exactly mimic the quality of the opposition. Against the decent sides we're able to turn it on a bit, but serve up some cannon fodder and we'll suddenly struggle to string two passes together. There were worrying signs of 'ego' coming into play at times too. Certain players appeared to purposefully select the more difficult option, rather than playing the simple ball. I do wonder if a couple of the substitutions reflected that. The one shining light in that first half was Zebs, who was the one player causing their defence some difficulties - and considering their defence appeared to have problems doing almost everything, that's a shame.

The second half started off in much the same vein, and it really looked as though we were going to let another opportunity drift away into a drab point. But the introduction of O'Kane was the turning point. His added invention and energy sparked some life around him. Suddenly Craig Stanley turned into the player he's been in every other game for us and his two assists were brilliantly weighted. The goals were taken well too, two accomplished finishes from Zebs and Tomlin. It was unfortunate that Zebs didn't add to his tally with the shot that cannoned off the post. The keeper was well beaten, and it would have been no more than Zebs personal performance deserved.

As hard to watch as that first-half was (not helped by yet another ego-maniac with a whistle 'officiating), those points could prove vital. The ability to win 'ugly' is a trait most successful teams posess. It's not something we're renowned for, so it's a positive step in the right direction. Play poorly and win, i'll settle for that. Having said that, it's probably a good thing for us that we've got some decent teams left to play. We're still happier playing the role of lambs to the slaughter. Somehow that cap fits us better.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Wise words Fonda. Wise words indeed.

Underdogs United is how we do best....
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
GirlOnATerrace
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by GirlOnATerrace »

Do excuse me if it's been posted on here already, but just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the person how had had an accident in the popside? :/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

loyal_gull wrote:Do excuse me if it's been posted on here already, but just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the person how had had an accident in the popside? :/
He stands right in front of me (which one are you Loyal? Sorry if Troj has introduced us already, I'm hopeless with names) I will call the club tomorrow and see if they have and information about him. He did look alright in the end though, and the club Dr didn't seem unduly concerned by his condition, so we imagine he was probably just fine.

Matt.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

What formation did we play in this match? From the team I'd guess 4-4-2 but recent (away) matches I've been to Murray hasn't looked like he's been up played front, and Jake (and to a lesser extent Zebs) doesn't play like a traditional wide man.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

AlexGulls wrote:Dull first half I thought. Second half was better and we deserved to win...
That's how I saw it. That dull in fact, I was in B&L 15 minutes before half-time. ;-)

And missed the incident of the unwell fellow in front of Matt.

The turning point in the match, of course, was the reaction save by Bevs. :bow: :clap:

Two pin point weighted through balls from Stanners saw Zebroski and Tomlin finish with excellence, Tomlin's finish especially so with the deft switch of stance to take it out of range of the chasing defender and then on into the corner of the net off his left peg. :bow: :clap:

For me, at this stage of the season, it's about the result not the performance. We got the result, we got the three points. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Called the club today, the dingbat on the front desk said he would call me back with information, but never did, so we still don't know how the old guy is.

Matt.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Is there a reason that they should give out that kind of information? Isn't that a private issue for the chap and his family?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."