League 2: Northampton Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

following some early posts on here from NTFC fans, i was probably less that polite due to the fact not only had we had to take all the "inferior" "small club" jibes prior to the game, but following the game, coming onto our forum and taking the piss.

in my earlier posts i accepted, like most people in the ground on Friday, that a draw was probably a fair result, but as is the case in football, you don't always get what you deserve, and frankly, the officials made balls up after balls up on friday, and ultimately robbed us of a (fortunate) victory. to then have NTFC fans coming on here telling us to stop moaning, having a dig at our manager who was rightly pissed off, just adds fuel to the fire and creates unnecessary ill-feeling.

i totally agree with awayday, and we do take pride in our club, and everything that comes with it (size, budget, facilities etc etc.), so every success is all the more appreciated by each and every one of us. we take nothing for granted, and in my lifetime as a supporter, i've been through the "we expect to lose so if we win it's a bonus" stage - many times !!

so i will make no apology for feeling hard done by on friday, nor for venting my feelings to the one or two individuals who seemed intent on rubbing it in.

however, one of the things i enjoy about div2 football compared to the overpaid, overpriced premiership, is before a game, you can head into a pub close to the ground, and on the whole, can have a beer and a chat/bit of banter with opposition fans, and there's no stupidness or aggro. and the banter between fans in the ground is mostly good natured and fun too, even when things on the pitch are less than perfect. but again, you do get the odd minority trying to spoil it for the majority - such is life.

provided we don't go up, and NTFC don't go down (and i hope they don't), i'll look forward to my trip up there again next season - but we should definitely be allowed a drum !!!!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
jayyo
Trialist
Trialist

Post by jayyo »

i disagree that you were robbed, but not going to argue over it. people view games differently. for me, a draw was a very fair result on the day.

our stewards are health and safety nerds so nobody's allowed a drum, they even try to confiscate it off the mascot sometimes. one of the many things the club needs to change. i think one or two of our fans have nothing better to do than go on other forums winding people up about things, which is quite pointless. they just end up making themselves look like idiots though, like the Gull WUM who was on our forum prior to the game.

so yeah apologies for the idiots, we'll be losing a good awayday if you go up, good luck in your promotion chase.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

But we were robbed of as said a "fortunate" victory, how can you deny that? We were going to win until your player ran into our player and the 'ref' gave you a freekick. Therefore we were robbed late on by the ref, even though had we won, it would have been fortunate a fortunate victory as we weren't at the races. Had you a legit goal we wouldn't have any complaints.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I think in all it was one of those games where the referee played a massive part in ballsing it up for both teams. We shouldn't have had the 1st goal being Zebs foul on the half way line, and one of their goals was well offside.

I agree with Jayyo, neither team "deserve" to win, but both teams were lucky to get a draw.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

jayyo wrote:i disagree that you were robbed, but not going to argue over it. people view games differently. for me, a draw was a very fair result on the day.

our stewards are health and safety nerds so nobody's allowed a drum, they even try to confiscate it off the mascot sometimes. one of the many things the club needs to change. i think one or two of our fans have nothing better to do than go on other forums winding people up about things, which is quite pointless. they just end up making themselves look like idiots though, like the Gull WUM who was on our forum prior to the game.

so yeah apologies for the idiots, we'll be losing a good awayday if you go up, good luck in your promotion chase.
i was actually saying the poor decision at the end ultimately robbed us, not on the balance of the 90+mins :-

in my earlier posts i accepted, like most people in the ground on Friday, that a draw was probably a fair result, but as is the case in football, you don't always get what you deserve, and frankly, the officials made balls up after balls up on friday, and ultimately robbed us of a (fortunate) victory.

as i totally agree for either team to have won would've been fortunate.

good luck to you guys too, and although you've got some of the top sides to play, i don't think you'll have too much to worry about, and can look forward to better things next season. if you can nick a few points off some of those teams, would be much appreciated down this way !!! :-D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Passing Cobblers fan here and couldn't let this comment go. Thanks for your kind words about the town but If you're going to bullshit about the crowds, please try and do so convincingly.

1999-2000 average: 5,187
2000-2001 average: 5,511

As far as I am aware we've only had 2 or 3 sub 3,500 league attendances since moving to Sixfields in 1994.[/quote][/quote]

Fascinating. Remind me, how are you doing this season?

Don't give a rats ass what you say. the ground was half empty on both occasions oh but i forgot a half empty San Sixfields is still 65,000.

I stand by what I said to be true.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The NTFC/TUFC debate sure is starting to go around in circles now. Fair play to the Northampton fans coming on and having their say - as we've always said, opposition fans should be made to feel welcomed on to the site, not told to **** off. I doubt any of you will stick around, but y'know.

I have already said my thoughts on the game once, so shan't do so again, but both teams were pretty poor, which just shows the standard of L2 and the difference of quality in this division - i.e, there isn't one!

Good luck for the season Cobblers, if we're in the same league next year then I hope you'll allow drums into Sixfields in future, as it would make it much more fun..
jayyo
Trialist
Trialist

Post by jayyo »

Parry wrote:But we were robbed of as said a "fortunate" victory, how can you deny that? We were going to win until your player ran into our player and the 'ref' gave you a freekick. Therefore we were robbed late on by the ref, even though had we won, it would have been fortunate a fortunate victory as we weren't at the races. Had you a legit goal we wouldn't have any complaints.
the freekick given was as contentious as the foul not given on Jacobs in the build up to your first goal, in my opinon. It's a real kick in the teeth conceding in the last minute, though, so I understand that feeling of 'we deserved more'. Like I said, not interested in arguing as it's a bit of a pointless exercise, I can see it from your point of view even though I don't necessarily agree with it.
usagullmichigan wrote: Don't give a rats ass what you say. the ground was half empty on both occasions oh but i forgot a half empty San Sixfields is still 65,000.

I stand by what I said to be true.
But it's not, as the facts show. We've had a couple 3,500 crowds in the past few years, tends to be on Tuesday nights when the other club don't bring many away fans. It doesn't really mean anything though, neither me or bigcitylights have any 'massive club' delusions regarding NTFC.
A Cobbler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by A Cobbler »

NickGull wrote:The NTFC/TUFC debate sure is starting to go around in circles now. Fair play to the Northampton fans coming on and having their say - as we've always said, opposition fans should be made to feel welcomed on to the site, not told to f**k off. I doubt any of you will stick around, but y'know.

I have already said my thoughts on the game once, so shan't do so again, but both teams were pretty poor, which just shows the standard of L2 and the difference of quality in this division - i.e, there isn't one!

Good luck for the season Cobblers, if we're in the same league next year then I hope you'll allow drums into Sixfields in future, as it would make it much more fun..
Great post.

Things are much better if it's all just a bit of friendly banter. Good luck for the season Torquay fans.
TeJay
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TeJay »

Seems like some of our lot before the season started some grudge. I don't have this 'we're a massive club and you're tiny and you're shit etc' mentality, nor did i want that to come across. I suppose the crux of my point is that overall it was a fairly even game, a draw was probably fair on both teams and the ref was just as bad for both sides so i found it hard to believe when i saw some on here claiming that you were robbed and the ref was a complete and utter homer. Oh well sod it i bare no grudge against Torquay. Even if you are only a tinpot bottom half club.*

*Remember what i said a while back about me joking about that sort of thing and not to get your knickers in a twist? Yeah same applies ;-)
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Well having some of the more decent Northampton fans come on the board has made me feel less irritated by the put downs from the Hotel End. Maybe you're not all bad after all =D

Yep, Jayyo, the Torquay fan on your forum did not make himself look good, or us for that matter. Banter should be a bit more than 'we're higher than you! Ha ha!' That's not good fun, that's irritating. We don't like it when people come on here and do it (Port Vale fan take note) so understand that it winds others up too.

Anyhoo, good luck to you guys too :-D
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

NickGull wrote:The NTFC/TUFC debate sure is starting to go around in circles now. Fair play to the Northampton fans coming on and having their say - as we've always said, opposition fans should be made to feel welcomed on to the site, not told to f**k off. I doubt any of you will stick around, but y'know.

absolutely - my apologies. i was one of those that allowed myself to be suckered in, more fool me. absolutely nothing against any fans who come on here, its all good, but sometimes reading and/or typing banter doesn't come across very well. reading and replying through beer goggles on saturday probably wasn't wise either !! :clown:

anyway, as i said before :-

however, one of the things i enjoy about div2 football compared to the overpaid, overpriced premiership, is before a game, you can head into a pub close to the ground, and on the whole, can have a beer and a chat/bit of banter with opposition fans, and there's no stupidness or aggro. and the banter between fans in the ground is mostly good natured and fun too, even when things on the pitch are less than perfect. but again, you do get the odd minority trying to spoil it for the majority - such is life.

provided we don't go up, and NTFC don't go down (and i hope they don't), i'll look forward to my trip up there again next season - but we should definitely be allowed a drum !!!!
in my earlier posts i accepted, like most people in the ground on Friday, that a draw was probably a fair result, but as is the case in football, you don't always get what you deserve, and frankly, the officials made balls up after balls up on friday, and ultimately robbed us of a (fortunate) victory.

as i totally agree for either team to have won would've been fortunate.

good luck to you guys too, and although you've got some of the top sides to play, i don't think you'll have too much to worry about, and can look forward to better things next season. if you can nick a few points off some of those teams, would be much appreciated down this way !!!
cheers. :~D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

jayyo wrote:the freekick given was as contentious as the foul not given on Jacobs in the build up to your first goal, in my opinon
Having carefully perused the highlights, Zebrowski clearly plays the ball off Jacobs toe straight to O'Kane. Unless the rules have changed recently then tackling is still allowed. Its worth noting that none of the nearby players or indeed Jacobs himself look the slightest bit interested in appealing, at least not till O'Kane has already scored.

Compare that with the unrecorded "challenge" on Harrad and the resulting freekick in which your player is clearly offside (looks like Harrad to me) and interfering with the keepers line of sight as the ball reaches Bauza (1 min 54 seconds on the match highlights on the BBC website) then we have every right to be pissed off and feel robbed.

Dont take my word/opinion for it though, as both are shown on the Beeb highlights and there for all to see (unless your blinkers are on) :|
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It has taken some time to read and reread all the way through the thread.

I used up all my disappointment ( :@ ) on the night of the match.

Tit for tat slagging chit chat masquerading as banter doesn't interest me.

Roll on the Lincoln game. Where's the matchday thread ? :whistle:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Torquay fans.

Here is an idea - if you don't like what is being said on the Northampton Town website, don't go on it!!!!

You moan and whine about "them" coming on here, and telling them to "f**k off" and then you promptly go onto their and moan about them moaning about us!!

It is all getting rather boring now. We drew, the ref was crap, we are higher in the table then them. We have idiotic fans, they have idiotic fans, we fouled and got away with it, they were offside and got away with it.

Alas, the BBC "highlights" fail to show the "contentious" free kick decision for the second goal (despite mentioning it) so I can't pass comment on whether it was a foul or not.

Let's all just move on.
:~D

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com