League 2: Northampton Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Northampton Town vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Sixfields Stadium
Friday 25th March 2011
KO: 7:45pm

Sitting pretty in 4th place as we travel north to Northampton Town, sitting down in 20th place(!). The Cobblers were hopeful of a very successful season, but the 3-0 opening day demolition that was handed out at Plainmoor suggested it may not be that easy. They have never really got going to be honest, the highlight of a very poor season being that excellent penalty shootout victory over Premiership outfit Liverpool, at Anfield, in the Carling Cup. They were then knocked out by Ipswich, but it was a very good cup run which will live long in fans' memories. Their league form has been poor, and the club sit 7 points ahead of the relegation zone. You would expect them to be safe, as Barnet and Stockport don't seem to want to get out of the bottom two.

I would add a link to their forum, but I'm sure you all know what it's called anyway. :~D

GULLS NEWS.

Errm, it seems Ben Pringle has returned to Derby, Ronan Murray is on International Duty, and there were some whispers that Tomlin wanted to return to London, but there is nothing official from that yet. I don't think there are any injury concerns, at the moment.

CONSEQUENCES.

Well, there's a big incentive for us going into this game. We could break into the top 3 for a night, which would be excellent. I feel we also need to win this, to allow us a 'relaxing' weekend! A victory for our hosts would see them move up two places to 18th, to further the gap between them and the dropzone.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Northampton wins - 49 (6 in Cups)
Torquay wins - 43 (3 in Cups)
Draws - 24

There is usually a winner in this game, as you can see. Northampton have the upper hand, especially at Sixfields, where we have only won once in our last 8 visits, on the sweltering opening day where Jason Fowler got the opening goal of the game. I'll take a similar result tomorrow please!

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

DLLLLD

Not the best form, at all. Hopefully it'll continue on Friday. A draw at Southend was followed up by consecutive home defeats, to Burton and Shrewsbury (both 2-3). Then a narrow defeat at Chesterfield was followed by another home defeat, to Macclesfield. A draw at Bradford was their most recent result, with Shaun Harrad equalising with a penalty.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that drew 1-1 at Valley Parade:

Dunn

Hall
Webster
Johnson
Ofori-Twusami

Osman
Davis
Jacobs
Walker

Harrad
Bauza

Subs: Beckwith, Collis (G), Rodgers, Reckford, Gilligan, Holt, Wedderburn.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

The front two are well known at this level. Harrad has shown his ability at Burton, whereas Bauza has performed well at Hereford. Both can be dangerous on their day. Abdul Osman and Liam Davis look like they'll be on the wings, while Michael Jacobs is a player who looks like he could go far. There are some good players in that squad, but it just seems like they're underperforming..

PREDICTION

I'm not going to make one. I'm just hopeful of about 400 Torquay fans to make a fair bit of noise!

COYY!! :scarf:
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Thanks Nick - great job as always :clap:

My opening bid is 4-0 (Branson 2 ( :keepie: ), Robinson 2) :keepie: :bow: :clap:
Come on ,Come on. Come on, Come on.Come On, Come On you gulls...I said....repeat (Sung to the Gary Glitter tune - I'm the leader) :whistle:
:scarf:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I hope we absolutely demolish them but being a 'tiny' and 'inferior' club, who knows? :whistle:

Loving the little ditty there Wisconsin. Very catchy :)
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I am not going to make a prediction, but 400 fans and loads of singing like we did at Cheltenham would be awesome
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

How many illegal Algerian immigrants can you get in Dave's van? You could teach them the words 'Yellow' and 'Army' on the way up, that'll boost the crowd and the noise level.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

ferrarilover wrote:How many illegal Algerian immigrants can you get in Dave's van? You could teach them the words 'Yellow' and 'Army' on the way up, that'll boost the crowd and the noise level.

Matt.
I'll be driving to this one, therefore my 2.2TDi Mondeo will still wipe the road clean of your Mark 3 Ford Cortina with go faster stripes.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Awayday wrote: I'll be driving to this one, therefore my 2.2TDi Mondeo will still wipe the road clean of your Mark 3 Ford Cortina with go faster stripes.
"orange" go faster stripes =D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

look out for a silver Xsara 2 litre VTS coupé flying past the lot of you.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

chippygull wrote:look out for a silver Xsara 2 litre VTS coupé flying past the lot of you.
On the back of a tow truck whilst we are parked up at a service station for a nature break.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

:red:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Definitely predicting a draw again this time!! ;-)
3-3
Robinson hat-trick
Haven't been this nervous since - well, the last time. I'm praying we don't play 4-5-1 and want Robinson up front with Kee with Zebs on the wing. Bring it on!! COYY!!!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Bevan
Robertson Ellis Branston Nicho
Stanley Mansell Lathrope
Zebroski Tomlin Robinson

Or...

Bevan
Mansell Robertson Branston Nicholson
Stanley Oastler Lathrope
Zebroski Tomlin Robinson

2-0 gulls. Robinson + zebroski
The gulls are going up
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

oh come on, some has to be brave enough to name Branston as a goal scorer
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

ok, i'll go with branston to score. it's the closest he'll ever be to a hatrick, so what the hell. Branston's on a hatrick, Branston's on a hatrick, la la la la.................

final score 3-1, with jake and billy getting the other 2.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Im not too sure what to think about this. Ill go for 1-1 with a late kee equaliser