League 2: Macclesfield Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:Well we have got to take that haven't we,just do not get why we start so poor,we have just won our two previuos games and should have more confidence.

To be fair think a few people wear blinkers as far as Bevan is concerned ,he has had a few mare's this season,thats why he got rested.

Any way enough of that,for once we can say,2.0 and you forked it up :clap: :clap:

maybe dave, but hes still better than potter
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:Come on then be honest.

Who wouldn't have taken four points from the last two games ?

For me it would have been the draw at Bury and the win at Macclesfield.

Roll on Cheltenham Tuesday . . . :@ . . . oops, I mean . . . :clap: :clap: :clap:
agree with that mate.

its a funny old game! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
maybe dave, but hes still better than potter
I just can't take Potter seriously after seeing him walk. He's constantly like a puffed up cat, walks somewhat like a tank with legs.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

and to make things even better, the greeks have lost 3-2 at home to yeovil! :rofl:

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: agree with that mate.

its a funny old game! =D
It certainly is !

Dirty sex and bad sex has nothing on TUFC when it comes (no pun intended) to erecting or limping the pecker. :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
DavetheRave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by DavetheRave »

cambgull wrote: I just can't take Potter seriously after seeing him walk. He's constantly like a puffed up cat, walks somewhat like a tank with legs.
Eh? How does he walk?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Justice will prevail.

Take note Macclesfield. If you want to employ time wasting tactics from the moment you come out for the second half, expect some kind of comeuppance. We were so bad today you didn't need to change the way you were playing. But you did, you took away the energy that had you cruising and cost yourselves 2 points. You got what you deserved.

We were lucky to get away with a point today, and so so nearly snatched all 3 at the death. But it's easy not to bemoan Jakes late chance going begging, as at any point prior to that a point was a massive return.

As I seem to start all these match reports, we started well. Solid, passing it around O.k and basically concentrating the play in the home half, shooting towards the soul-less home supporters. We created very little, and it was obvious that Macclesfield were one of those teams who look to play with high tempo and energy and get in our faces, giving us no time to settle and pass the ball.

Soon this pressure on the ball led to us loosing possession far too easily, and we began being the ones under the cosh. Macc's game plan was centred around lumping the ball forward to the gangly Tyrone Barnett and feeding off the second balls. But aside from a bit of flap from Bevan at a cross and a couple of sighters, it was a soulless game for a soulless, passionless crowd.

The first bit of inspiration in the game led to the first goal. One of the home midfielders hit a peach of a shot that cannonned off the inside of the post with Bevs beaten. The rebound was smuggled away for a corner, but from the resulting flag-kick to the far post Bevan half came, didnt get and Barnett headed into the centre of the goal despite Mansells best efforts on the line. Having endured the dismal lack of energy from us beforehand, you knew it was going to be a long afternoon.

We tried to exert some pressure, but aside from a wild long ranger from Zebs over the top we got nowhere. And from this nowhere, we got hit on the break. A routine ball undid us down the Macc left side, cut back and a delicious side foot into the net. A good finish, but who was marking or tracking back?

The rest of the half played out with Zebs fluffing a couple of straightforward headers, but Macc looking the most likely to score. They were direct and physical, but the tempo they were forcing was troubling us.

Second half couldn't get much worse, and we started a little better than we finished the first half. But straight away Macc began time wasting. Their tempo was down, throw ins were taking forever and the home keeper Veiga was taking an eternity to undertake any duty. If we only we could get back in the game.......

And fairly soon we were back in the game. Build up down our right hand side sees Jake in on the angle, and he fired a powerful shot across the keeper and into the far corner. Great finish and game on........

Not for long. Bevan makes a good save low down to his left and the ball goes for a corner. Routine delivery to near post, free header,3-1. Bevs routed to the spot, awful marking. Surely, us being so poor Macc could see this out?

Well for about 20mins they did. We created very little, and the whole passage of play was punctuated by some very strange subs. Was LRT (who did well actually) the right move to make at 3-1 down? Lathrope definately was right to be withdrawn, but zebs off? Dwarf-esque Murray and Tomlin up front? Surely this won't work? It wasn't and we were still creating nothing, while Macc were still killing the game by incessant time wasting and play-acting. Do not go and watch these play Crawley next season.

All we needed was a bit of luck, and we got it. Build up on the right wing from a short throw, and Stanley goes to flick the ball inside. It was a poor touch, but spun up and hit the hand of a home defender just inside the box. Literally just inside, and on the refs blind side too. The ref thought something was amiss, looked to the Lino who flagged. Penalty. Cue much more moaning and timewasting from Macc. Jake was unfazed however, and dispatched down low to the keepers left, with the keeper going the wrong way. Game on part 2?

Well, no not really. Still we created little. Macc by now had abandoned all plans to attack and left only one up, and a series of slips and poor refereeing gave them more opportunities than the planned for. As such, all came to nought.

The best we could muster was a few long throws and corners looking for Branno. None found him. That is, until, the 4th official signalled a paltry 4 mins of added time. Scant reward for having to endure the timewasting antics of Veiga and co. Immediately after the board, we had a throw in on the right, about level with the penalty spot. Robbo hurls it in, Branno - tightly marked by the 2 biggest Macc players - leaps, flicks with the back of his head and the ball loops over Veiga and into the back of the net. Brannos first goal for 4 years! He pops his shirt over his head and strides towards the delirious gulls fans, and all the players mob him. Got out of jail!!!!

And yet we came inches from winning it. In the last minute of stoppage time we got a break, and flooded forward. It all happened in a flash but I think O'kane had a shot Tha was deflected and ran to Robinson at the back post, completely unmarked. Easier chance than his first goal, he strikes......and the keeper stops with his legs and the chance is gone. Almost, but that would have been too much luck for Torquay! As it was, an unlikely point on a day when none of our rivals ahead of us pulled away (I think, well last check of the scores I did).

Macc wernt a bad side, what I expected in the terms of direct, physical and with good energy an work rate. And if they'd kept that up for the second half they'd have been celebrating a win. It's all very well to try and close a game out, but to try and do so by completely going against what they had done so well in the first half was lunacy. They shot themselves in the foot.

Ratings are hard as we were quite poor all over, but here goes:

Bevan - 5 - at fault for the first, static for the third. Seemed languid in his movement. Noticed that while the Macc keeper was hitting a blue shirt with every kick, Bevs seemed to just hit every one with maximum power and hope for the best
Mansell - 6.5 - no real mistakes, pushed the team up the pitch second half
Robbo - 5.5 - slack marking, although one goal saving challenge and one assist isn't a bad return
Branno - 6 - slips, mistakes, slack at the back but got the equaliser!
Nico - 6 - don't really remember him doing much wrong, unlucky to be subbed.
Stanley - 6.5 - not his best game, some sloppy passes but everyone was guilty of that
Lathrope - 5.5 - pretty low key. Was the wrong choice today with the aerial threat, should have been Oastler
Robinson - 7 - my MOTM for the goals, and because i had to give it to someone!
Pringle - 6 - was quite the culprit for short/misplaced passes, but is a real grafter
Tomlin - 6 - not his day
Zebs - 5.5 - not his day either, gave the ball away a lot and missed a couple of easy first half headers

LRT - 6 - capable and got forward more than Nico, which I guess may have helped push Macc back. No nonsense, which I like
Murray - 5 - not seen the magic in him yet. Most telling touch was to get in the way of a goalbound mansell shot at the death
O'kane - 6 - almost saw a glimmer of his old form at the end. Back on the road to success?

Also worth noting about the crowd. Very flat today and very negative. One guy yelled "come for it Bevan you s**thouse" after the first goal, which Bevan heard and turned round. Bevan also directed something back at this supporter at the end of the half. Most people looked at this guy with disgust when he said it. But he wasn't alone, someone else yelled some very negative things in the first half which the players heard, can't remember exactly what but although we are all frustrated it can't help the players much! Bit of a shame but all seemed forgotten at the end.

Will be pleased with next week is over and our nightmare busy run of games is over.
Cheltenham got a good result today so we will have to be wary of them, but today was vital we got a point to keep us in the mix. What is it they say about the sign of a good team is getting a result when you are playing poorly? Well today was one of those days.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

DavetheRave wrote: Eh? How does he walk?
Have a look at the highlights of the games he was in on BBC Sport website. He constantly has his shoulders hunched up, his arms out and dangling. Very much like one of those blokes you see in the street who are trying to make themselves look harder than they are.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Chaps it might not have been our best day, but what good team, and what teams that win promotions do is grind out a result from a poor display. 3-1 down at Macclesfield, could easily have given it up but we haven't, and we've come away with a point. More importantly we've taken 7 points from a aweek where we've played 2 of the top 7 as well as a team that's already beaten us this season. 2 long trips, 4 points. Happy days surely?

Delighted that Branno got the equaliser, legend.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Excellent, as ever, Jeff.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thanks for the report Jeff, down here in Devon the radio commo was constantly interrupted by a technical problem. :@

As your reports are uncannily accurate, I'll take it as gospel. :bow:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Trojan 67 wrote:Thanks for the report Jeff, down here in Devon the radio commo was constantly interrupted by a technical problem. :@

As your reports are uncannily accurate, I'll take it as gospel. :bow:
Troj, its still cutting out on 1458 as we speak (having just been out in the motor). We will need to dispatch our chances a bit better against Cheltenham tuesday. Looking at the BBC stats for the Bury-Chelt match, it looks like Bury were all over them and didnt take their opportunities . Sounds a bit like when they played us :)

As Royal says, grinding out points when you dont play well is the hallmark of a good team...
Last edited by Fletch on 19 Mar 2011, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree this is a good point won,regardless of the performance and being 2 goals down on seperate occasions.

As for the goalkeeping situtation at the club,if the club is serious about kicking on to league 1 then this something that must be looked at,i have never once said Potter was better than Bevan,think they have different strenghts and weakness,also think the notion that Bevan is light years ahead of Potter is wrong,its not the case,and came as no suprise to read what Jeff has written on Bevan's performance today,those are critism's that i have had all season on Bevan's all round game.

Think Buckle could help his keepers here,by giving them back some freedom on decision making ,as to whether they should come for a ball or not,how many times this season have a heard or seen,Potter/Bevan caought in no mans land for there goal,it can not helping,and how a player walks really has nothing to do with there ability to play,surely.

Any way as said above lets not be to downhearted,its been a good week for us,happy days,onwards and upwards,COYY :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

cheers for another great report jeff.

TUST Member 468

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

They will have freedom to make their own decisions mate, I think from what i've learned is they're told if you're not sure then stay at home, which is basically the general rule of thumb anyway. THat should be different with BEvan because he's massive. I almost think Bevs is too nice as bizarre as it sounds. One other thing that may just may still play on his mind is he got really seriously injured once before. Had to have a kidney removed bad!! So maybe it still plays on his mind, but as for the forward to see this 6'7 tank charging at thtem, it must be some sight.

I like both goalies, I'd probably say Bevan is the better of the 2 but they are both ok. Poke > both of them in all honesty. If there is any chance of Poke returning next season I'd have him here in a heartbeat.