Torquay vs Aldershot Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay vs Aldershot Match Thread

Post by Plymouth Gull »

3 days since we were at Plainmoor hosting Macclesfield, we are back again, this time playing host to Aldershot. We know Aldershot very well, having played them in both the Conference and League 2, after both teams were promoted back to the Football League. The Shots still play their home games at the Recreation Ground, although it is now known as the EBB Stadium. They had a very successful season last time around, finishing in the top 7 but losing in the Playoff Semi final, to Rotherham.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - Conference - 13th place - 54 points
2006/07 - Conference - 9th place - 65 points
2007/08 - Conference - 1st place - 101 points
2008/09 - League 2 - 15th place - 54 points
2009/10 - League 2 - 6th place - 72 points

Steady but massive progress seems to be the key to Aldershots recent history. They have established themselves as a force to be reckoned with in League 2, which (as you can see) is much better than where they were 5 years ago. The 2007/08 season saw the Shots pick up a record points tally for the Blue Square Premier (I believe) and that is still the case now.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Torquay wins - 37
Draws - 16
Aldershot wins - 32 (3 of these were FA Cup games)

We have just edged this head-to-head battle. Only 4 of these games have been since Aldershot were reformed. In the 1990/91 season, we did the double over them, winning 5-0 at Plainmoor and 3-2 at their ground. The 5-0 win was the last time the two clubs met before Aldershot folded. Since the reformation of the club, we have met 4 times, with two wins for Torquay - both at the Rec - and a draw and and Aldershot win at Plainmoor. I'm sure nobody needs reminding of that Aldershot win though.

FORM. (LAST 6 GAMES)

DDWDLD

As you can see, their form isn't the best, but with only one defeat, it suggests that there quite hard to beat. They haven't won in the league in these 6 games, with the win coming against Oxford in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. They lost at Port Vale, and have drawn against sides such as Wycombe, Northampton and Stevenage at the Rec, and they also took a point home from Shrewsbury, which is a good point, in my opinion.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the lineup that started against Stockport:

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, the obvious one is Marvin Morgan. He was excellent for them last season, scoring around 15 goals in the process, and finishing the season as there top scorer. He is a very physical striker, so we will need our defence to be ready so he doesn't run them ragged. Also, the Shots have players such as Glen Little, a very experienced winger, who has played at the top level with Reading, and Luke Guttridge, who we all know too well.

PREDICTION.

For me, I think Aldershot will be in the top 7 come the end of the year, so this will be a good benchmark of where we are at. However, from these two home games, I'll be happy with 4 points, to take to Shrewsbury on Saturday.

Torquay 2-2 Aldershot.

I know it's early to get this up, as we havent even played Macc yet, but I am working all tonight so wouldn't have been able to get it up until tomorrow, and with it being a Tuesday night, there isn't much time to discuss it beforehand. I'll add the 'probable line up' bit tomorrow :)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

We're on a losing streak. Also, very few are going to go out on a dark, cold night to watch another defeat.

Torquay United (0) 0
Aldershot (2) 2

Att: 1,636.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

back to stability for us glad we got this game so quick am so confident theres 3 points here for us guys and gals not goin to post a score though but 3 points in the bag
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Will indeed be a better performance on Tuesday night- even though we are facing better oposition.
This will be a close game and I can also see a draw here(which i'd be happy with).

Attendance: 1857(if we are lucky as it's a tuesday)

Can't see Senda starting so Charnock should start if Ellis is still out- or Carlisle could go RB ;-)!

Bevan
Robertson
Charnock
Branston
Nicholson
Carlisle(RM!)
Wroe
Mansell
Stevens
Benyon
KEE
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

In my opinion we've always got to be optomistic. Torquay 2-1 Aldershot. I hope the team will be:

Bevan

Robbo
Charnock
Branston
Nico

Stevens
Wroe
Mansell
O'Kane

Zeb

Kee

But how about Buckle, we'll make sensible subs! I'd play Kee. He needs a start. And Benners didn't play good yesterday, even though he scored. I'd put Wayne on as a Sub but at RM! I'd also put Senda on and one point, to give him a bit of a game. And bring Benners on for Kee if he is not playing well, but I hope Kee does, he needs a 90mins.
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 26 Sep 2010, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Danny_tufc wrote:In my opinion we've always got to be optomistic. Torquay 2-1 Aldershot. I hope the team will be:

Bevan

Robbo
Charnock
Branston
Nico

Stevens
Wroe
Mansell
O'Kane
Zeb

Kee

But how about Buckle, we'll make sensible subs! I'd play Kee. He needs a start. And Benners didn't play good yesterday, even though he scored. I'd put Wayne on as a Sub but at RM! I'd also put Senda on and one point, to give him a bit of a game. And bring Benners on for Kee if he is not playing well, but I hope Kee does, he needs a 90mins.
I wouldnt exactly say 4-5-1 at home is optomistic.

Bevan
Nico
Ellis
Branston
Robbo

Carlisle
Wroe
Mansell
Zebroski

Kee
Benyon

Wayne in for Danny, not a reflection on Danny's performances, I just think Wayne tracks back more, and works harder. Wroe needs to step up and be a captain, there was no motivation from him, not to mention his individual performance, but to swap him and Eunan will get us nowhere, Eunan is too lightweight to play in the middle. Kee needs a start, if we keep on changing the line up too much nothing will ever stick. Stick with this line up over the next 3 games, and we should win at least 1, we need to forget about Macclesfield as soon as possible, I know harsh to drop Eunan in that line up, but lets be honest, have we won a league game when hes started? Thats not to say he doesnt have a part to play this season. Buckle needs to make subs earlier, its like were waiting for them or us to make a mistake. If Buckle can motivate them, and we keep our basics right. Even if that does mean playing for set pieces. Ill pump for.......

Torquay 1-0 Aldershot
Kee

Keep the faith!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I meant to put Zeb just behind Kee, didn't press enter. Sorry for that mistake. It looked good for the first 10 yesterday, Zeb running just behind. And then going back to 4-4-2 on attack. No more 4-5-1!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

4-4-2.

Bevan

Robbo
Ellis (if fit)
Branston
Nicho

Zebs
Wroe
Mansell
Stevens

Benyon
Gritton

Or Zebs up top with Benyon, and O'Kane and Stevens swapping wings all the time.

It's really annoyed/confused me how we have lost our excellent start because of fiddling with tactics.. :(
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Not sure what is better, Billy Kee with Benyon, or Zebs with Benyon, its a shame to stop Zebs from tearing up full backs on the wing. Gritton with Benyon is also classic 'big man little man' but Gritton isnt actually winning many headers, and looks way too tired. I think we are yet to see the best of Billy Kee yet. I dont think we need another striker on loan, but the need for a midfielder seems to be growing every game. We need to stick with what we know. Give the ball out wide, run at the full backs, get balls into the box and get set pieces.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Mr. Yellowmurphy. The need for a midfielder has been strong all season, and is growing stronger match by match. Mind you, a more up-market centre-forward wouldn't go amiss either.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'd like to see Billy given a start, I think if given a chance he would run with it.
Agree with reverting to the 4-4-2 that served us so well in August.
Hoping that heads haven't dropped too low and we can sneak a win to instill some much needed confidence.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

As from the other thread, my 'home' formation and team-sheet.

4-4-2 (This is most important).
Bevs in goal.
Senda - if fit enough for another game so soon. we need an 'attacking' mentality
Ellis - if fit, if not Robbo again
Branno - and give him the captaincy, we need some leadership
Nico - no reason to change
Zebs - he's performed well on our right-wing
Manse - he can tackle
Wroe - retains his place but not the armband. encourage him to get forward
O'Kane - before we discard him, lets see if he can play on the wing. i rather think he can
Kee - if we leave it much longer before giving him a chance, we'll be entering 'Matt Green' territory
Benners - goes without saying

Bench: Potter, Charnock, Lathrope, Carlisle, Macklin, Stevens, Gritts.

And lets go into the game with the right mentality. Let's not worry too much about them - we're at home and the onus is on us to win the game. They should be worrying about us, and adjusting their formation accordingly - not the other way round.
Last edited by Fonda on 28 Sep 2010, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Branston would be an excellent captain but would the extra responsibility make him more restrained in his game?
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

If we are talking about captains I would like to see Bevan considered, I know a goalkeeper needs to be vocal but he seems to be doing it better than ever(or ive only just noticed it) Plus he does have experience. Branston would be 1st choice for me though.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

-----------------------Bevan

Robbo------Charnock------Branston-------Nico

Zebs---------Mansell--------Wroe--------O'Kane

---------------Benyon--------Kee

Harsh on Danny to be dropped and I doubt Buckle will. I think O'Kane can excel on the left cutting in and joining the strikers with his right foot whilst also staying wide and playing balls in with his left foot. Get Zebs back out on the right wing again with two strikers up front, that's when he has played well. Kee needs starts. Wroe needs to perform.

It's just such a shame Eunan isn't four inches taller and two stone heavier. Saying that if he was he wouldn't be playing for us!