League 2: Torquay United v Shrewsbury Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

HRG wrote: More than you :na:
You're welcome.
thats your opinion lofty. :na:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by cosmic74 »

I am so bloody envious of every single one of you who attended the game yesterday, but I couldn't go as I am stuck out in the bloody Seychelles working! I am not mad when I say I would rather be in Torquay than out here!

It must have been absolutely friggin fantastic, and it sounds like Stanley had another outstanding performance. Can we please sign him and Jake Robinson permantly, please Mr Buckle!!!!!!

COYY
I live for matchdays!!!!
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

of the two new strikers we signed, before the game I felt that Murray would be a really good signing and that Tomlin was perhaps a panic signing. having watched the game yesterday I have to take that back. Both played really well, but Tomlin in particular I thought was excellent. he had great movement, and something we haven't had for a long time he read the line very well. He only strayed offside a couple of times during the game which was something we used to get from Benyon and Kee every 10minutes!

Is stanley our player or is he a season long loan? We have had so many players come in and out, I have actually forgotten what the arrangement was with him!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Mav wrote:of the two new strikers we signed, before the game I felt that Murray would be a really good signing and that Tomlin was perhaps a panic signing. having watched the game yesterday I have to take that back. Both played really well, but Tomlin in particular I thought was excellent. he had great movement, and something we haven't had for a long time he read the line very well. He only strayed offside a couple of times during the game which was something we used to get from Benyon and Kee every 10minutes!

Is stanley our player or is he a season long loan? We have had so many players come in and out, I have actually forgotten what the arrangement was with him!
Stanley is a loanee from Morcambe. I believe we don't have him til the end of the season as he was one of the initial short term loans. (unless I'm getting confused with someone else) Could be a problem if we get in the play-offs.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Interesting read on the Shrews fans forum, thanks for the link

Mmmm..... one contributor mentioned the points we will be docked, have we all forgotten about that. That could be criticial, and for me losing 3 points would probably mean we would miss out on a playoff place.

Also many are saying on there why Robinson was allowed to play, ridiculous, would they be saying that If Wroe had scored the winner, NO. Why are football fans so blinkered and want the rules etc just to go there way, as if they are the only team who should win.

I must point out also that we played poorly 5 days ago, then great yesterday, but which one inicates our real form. You cant just take the last one and say we are now there. The new signings yes, could be the difference, we shall see.

I have also lost the plot with what the loan situation is with most of our squad. Be iteresting to see a list ( hint :) ), of who we actually have signed and who is on loan. Is Pickles for example our player, think not, Begs the question, how many are. Not many is my guess.
TUST MEMBER
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Stanley increased initial one month loan until last home game.
MattSTFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jake Robinson ;)

Post by MattSTFC »

ferrarilover wrote:A word too for the officials. Wonderful, not a decision out of place, absolutely perfect. I'm not sure why Andy D'Urso is reffing down at our level, but long may it continue, didn't bottle the big decisions (the pen was given by the lino on the Pop side, who was similarly excellent).

The only sour notes stem from the same incident. The useless embarrassment of a right back playing for them, ought not to play again this season. Got the run around from Robinson all first half, decided to exact his revenge by taking a ten yard run up and going in from behind, with both feet, knee f**k ing high. Ought to have been sent off twice. Disgusting tackle from the worst player on the pitch by a country mile. The other disappointment is the decision by the Shrewsbury Town fans to applaud this t**t off the pitch. He was a liability (arguably OUR best player) all the time he was on, cumbersome, unco-ordinated, bereft of any discernable talent for the game what-so-ever. Was rightly dismissed for a horrific tackle on one of his team mates (sort of) and yet a large portion of the (very impressive 416) away fans decided he was worthy of applause. The last tackle of that kind I saw was Roscoe D'Sane at Oxford when he did an identical thing seconds after coming on. He was roundly booed by every fan that day, both sets of Yellow Army.
Firstly, well done on a fully deserved victory yesterday, no complaints about the result as our "performance" got exactly what it deserved.

Secondly, I think you need to have a look at the replay of the sending off and revise your rather OTT views on that one. Ten yard run up? No, Knee high? No, Two footed? No, From behind? No, A Red card? Probably yes, but far from a tackle worthy of the 25 year stretch the picture you have painted would indicate. Jermaine is a very talented lad who obviously had a mare yesterday, he's young and inexperienced and he'll learn from it.

Thirdly, on the officials, a lot more than a mere hint of offside about the first, so not correct to say they got everything correct.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

wasnt wroe signed rather than just loaned??
still keeping the faith
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

MattSTFC wrote: Firstly, well done on a fully deserved victory yesterday, no complaints about the result as our "performance" got exactly what it deserved.

Secondly, I think you need to have a look at the replay of the sending off and revise your rather OTT views on that one. Ten yard run up? No, Knee high? No, Two footed? No, From behind? No, A Red card? Probably yes, but far from a tackle worthy of the 25 year stretch the picture you have painted would indicate. Jermaine is a very talented lad who obviously had a mare yesterday, he's young and inexperienced and he'll learn from it.

Thirdly, on the officials, a lot more than a mere hint of offside about the first, so not correct to say they got everything correct.
You just need to watch the highlights. BBC IPlayer of the Football League Show, about 1hr1min in.

From behind, definitely. Run up, definitely. Knee-high? Well it's certainly not ground level.

Disgraceful tackle. Robinson gets the ball, his eyes lights up, he tanks over to him and chops him in half. Three game ban is no justice.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

I have to say that the tackle was disgraceful. It was clearly from behind as shown on the football league show. As for the first goal, for me it was a decent run, didn't look offside from where I sit, but i wasn't inline, the replay on football league program dosen't show it clearly either. Not sure unless you where sat in the grandstand how as an away fan you can say he was offside.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

MattSTFC wrote:

Wasn't at the match so have watched the highlights twice on Iplayer.

"The" tackle:

Ten yard run up - YES
Knee high - NO
Two footed - YES
From behind - YES
Red card - YES, absolutely worthy of one.

First goal offside? Well, from the highlights is is clear that he is behind your last defender (the number 6) when the ball is threaded through. He then did him for pace before slotting in the back of the net.
Didn't see anybody complaining about offside on the TV.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

what a joke.

Why the hell do I always miss the good games?!!?!?!

I missed the 4-0 vs Stockport all those years ago, the 3-0 of AC Norfampton on the opening day... now this.

Unbelievable result though!

And I see an improved attendance - if people don't come back after that then god knows what can improve it!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

MattSTFC wrote: Firstly, well done on a fully deserved victory yesterday, no complaints about the result as our "performance" got exactly what it deserved.

The last time one man was this wrong, he was stood on the Tarmac of Heston airport, waving a piece of paper and proclaiming 'peace in our time!'

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Definitely more justified than the sending off we recieved at the 1-1 draw at your place a couple of seasons ago.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Watched the game with forevertufc. Impressed with the two new strikers and the way we went about demolishing Shrewsbury.

Enjoyed the game very much and celebrated as such to the point of only now being sober to post comment. :Oops:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"