Final Game - North Ferriby @ 12:15

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Chorleygull: welcome to the Codgery! (a place where us old folks go). Glad to see Don Mills as favourite player. I've had many a conversation with others of the Codgery at the back of the pop. side on the relative merits of Mills and Stubbs. I never saw Mills but everyone who did sings his praises loudly.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

...and look who's at no. 134, tomogull!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 01 May 2017, 11:27 ...and look who's at no. 134, tomogull!
Sorry Wivel - you've lost me. No. 134 where ??? As for Don Mills - if there was a list of TUFC all time greats, Don Mills would be at, or near, the top along with Robin Stubbs and Sam Collins. And Colin Bettany !! ;-)
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Tomogull, Here we go again, old codgers with nothing better to do.... you're forgetting one or two goalkeepers and a host of others if you are including Colin Bettany that high in the list. Solid, dependable, our own Norman Hunter in fact but at or near the top, hmmmm.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

tomogull: it's the list of non-league attendances which someone has attached (see above).
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, gateman, there have been some great 'keepers in my time: Mahoney, Dunn, McGuire, Donnelly, Southall, Olejnik, to name a few that come to mind. There were duffers too: Lee, Rice, you know who...(Allen), but the greatest of all was, of course, Terry Adlington.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

gateman49 wrote: 01 May 2017, 11:03 I make that a revised home average including last match = 1,888
Indeed, an increase on 2015/16, and there were some very encouraging figures.

I'll update the site with the last game asap, although annoyingly the club haven't announced the breakdown of away fans, for the first time in six years. If they don't, I'll go with an estimate of about 50, which would give us an average home fans only of about 1786, which would be the highest of our three years in the National League. 2014/15 was a higher average (1952), but with Bristol Rovers in particular there was a far higher travelling support, so the home average was 1784.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 01 May 2017, 11:52 tomogull: it's the list of non-league attendances which someone has attached (see above).
Ah - got you ! I hadn't looked at that list. I see that your lowest crowd was 209. That must have been on a Tuesday night in January when the wind was blowing in from the North Sea. You will know that only the very hardy venture out on such nights !

Some interesting figures in that list. Amazing support for Hereford and Stockport and I bet the attendances for both Halifax and Kidderminster, both in the National North play-offs, are much better than their last season's relegation attendances.

Oh, and by the way, Wivel - when you talk about goalkeepers, you can't leave out John Turner. ;-)
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Mervyn Gill who we got from Southampton and local boy Peter Wakham who was bought by Sunderland,two of my earliest keepers but For the odd one or two Torquay have allways had decent keepers.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Spot on Frenchgull, in addition, Kenny Veasey, who was at the match*, wasn't too bad when in his prime.

* keeping things on the thread subject!
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

There were 61 away fans on Saturday, someone asked and was responded to on twitter
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Well there were only 31 in the Bench so no idea how they arrived at that figure.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

If anyone was trying estimate the number of Ferriby fans in the bench for the last match I was sad enough to actually count them as best I could. Yeah I know I need to get out more. the block nearest our fans had 27 in. the end block had 56 in it. giving a total of 83 fans. assuming none of them were Torquay fans who go lost or neutrals who decided to sit with away fans.
Incidentally it was nice to see our fans give them good applause as they left the field of play. there might not have been many there but a terrific support from a long way away by a team already relegated and a village team at that.
made some of the much better supported teams look pathetic by comparison.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

wivelgull wrote: 01 May 2017, 11:55 Yes, gateman, there have been some great 'keepers in my time: Mahoney, Dunn, McGuire, Donnelly, Southall, Olejnik, to name a few that come to mind. There were duffers too: Lee, Rice, you know who...(Allen), but the greatest of all was, of course, Terry Adlington.

Arghh how can you miss out the man mountain Neville Southall. putting him in goal was like building a breeze block wall.
Matty Gregg was more than competent and indeed captured us a huge fee when we sold him to Palace. never to be seen again. I believe he is now has a goalkeeping coaching practice in Ireland.
Mike Mahony. sold to Newcastle United. good safe pair of hands.
Kenny Allen. who seemed to bounce between clubs like a pinball always returning to Torquay. Played in the great escape game v Crewe.
Kevin Dearden. One of Roys signings. wish he was coaching at Torquay Now.
yes. We have been graced by some really good keepers over the years. Long may it continue.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843