Welcome to the site, introduce yourself topic...

General chat about anything else goes here.
DubGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by DubGull »

Hi, been a regular visitor to the forum without actually registering. Finally done it :)

First things first, I am a lifelong Chelsea supporter (I'm 42), and have been through lots of ups and downs over the years. In lots of ways the last 15 years or so made following CFC through relegations, promotions, selling our best players etc in previous years worth all the pain and misery. My problem with it all now is top level football has been ruined by money and greed. SKY started it all as far as I'm concerned and the Premier League really has become a circus, full of clowns, a fair few animals and a fair number of one trick ponies. Chelsea, while I still love them and always will, are not the club I started supporting and I feel a little bit removed from them in some way. Too many badge kissers earning far too much wonga. Ridiculous though it may sound, I sometimes long for the days of Nevin, Speedie and Dixon and the unpredictability of it all but that's me. I'm more interested in the entertainment and the feeling that the club is still mine. It's not. It's Russian. It's not the same.

So where do Torquay fit into all this? I was on holidays there in around 76 with my brother and the folks and there was a pre-season friendly on in Plainmoor while we were there so off we went. I could look it up somewhere but from memory it was a 1-1 draw against Norwich. I think Colin Lee played in that game (later to join CFC). And that was the start of it. We were back there on hols in 85 (ish) and got to see another friendly. Again memory tells me it was a 3-0 win against Bristol City but someone may tell me otherwise. I've always kept on eye on the teams results down the years but myself and my brother really picked up our interest again when they were relegated in 03/04 back to League 2 and thereafter out of the league altogether. I thought the team would really struggle to get back in but happily I was proved wrong. Myself and my mate went to the Trophy final at Wembley against Ebbsfleet a few years ago. Fantastic experience despite the result. The game didn't go our way but I can honestly say we were hoarse from the singing by the end of it. That doesn't happen at Chelsea anymore. It gets too quiet at times. The fans have had it so good over the last while that they've become complacent and I can guarantee you that if it all went pear shaped tomorrow, most of those fans won't be seen for dust.

So I can safely say that Torquay are close to my heart. It's real football with real supporters and it reminds me of what top flight football has ceased to be. A game for the people, played by fellas the man on the terrace can identify with. It might sound a bit patronising but that's how it is to me.

I'm coming to the Accrington game on Saturday for my third visit, 27 years after the last, and I can't wait. There'll be 10 of us travelling from Dublin and I'll have my old away shirt on. The brother will have his 70s TU shirt on. We plan to be on the Popside (and in the pub beforehand) so please say hello if you see us. We're a friendly bunch!

COYY!

Gary
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Welcome DubGull, if you make it to Plainmoor on saturday then you'll have been to more home games than me and you live in a different country! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Welcome DubGull! :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by zoomed »

Hello Everyone...

I'm a lifelong LFC fan who moved to Paignton in 2002... I'd been following TUFCs progress for a few years before that after regular holidays down here.

I'm afraid that when my son was growing up I was guilty of spending to much time working... so with the exception of a couple of trips to Wembley I never had the time/money to take my son to matches on a regular basis... so I determined to put that right with my grand kids...

So in 2008 me and grandson No.1 started attending a few home games... and that was it... we were hooked.

Now grandson No.2 is old enough to attend matches.

We have been season ticket holders for the last 2 years and its money well spent.

The kids love their football and are growing up following a local team... the atmosphere in the family stand is excellent and its a pleasure to attend Plainmoor.

Grand daughter No.1 will soon be old enough to start attending and there are 2 more grandkids on the way... looks like TUFC will be costing me a lot of money (especially if they want burgers at half time!!!)

:)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Must be nice to see a team playing attractive football as opposed to the Stevie G blinded rubbish served up by Britain (and Europe's) most overhyped, underperforming, overpaid, underskilled bunch of losers.

If you spent all that time working, including, presumably, overtime Saturdays, why did you not have the money to take the kids to football?

I'm afraid you're going to have to offer full and frank answers before we allow you to pass go and collect your £200. ;-)

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by zoomed »

I should have explained.. thanks to Maggie Thatcher & Co there were no jobs let alone any overtime on offer... so I became self employed which meant a lot of hours just to make ends meet (can you hear the violins playing?)...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Welcome to the forum mate, hope you enjoy yourself.

We're a good bunch really, just watch out for Austrianandy & Emet when they get on one of their rants (usually on the popside!)

:)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yes 'Zoomed', a very warm and hospitable welcome from myself and i'm sure all the other members on here. I too am hoping to take my 4 year old daughter to some Torquay games in due course. Ignore Nick, :lol: the popside is a great place to let off steam and have a laugh at the same time. As if i am seriously miserable ALL the time. Unbelievable! :Oops:

Enjoy navigating your way around the site and POST AWAY!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Welcome "Zoomed".

If you ever see Austrian @ Plainmoor (or any away game) please tell him to leave.
The man's a bloody jinx!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:clap: :bow:
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

i cannot find myself belonging to this website anymore, there are some absolute stars on here and some very worthy posts made that make this a good fans forum BUT I can no longer just consider myself a fan! I cannot sit back and share a forum with people who bad mouth players wives and children, these players are friends! Whether in jest or not some of the things written on here are plain embarrassing and downright wrong! I`ll probably get pelters from `The Intelligent One` but I really don`t care as what he says is now considered by myself as nothing more than childish drivel!
Can one of the Mods please delete my account? The temptation to stick up for the players and staff is too strong and I don`t want to descend into slanging matches with people who I don`t seem to be able to understand, why is it neccasary to call a players child a `bastard son` or his soon to be wife the horrible things she was called? I just can`t deal with that, maybe I`m weak, in which case I choose to walk away!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Hi Aussie

Unfortunately there are idiots out there that abuse freedom of speech. It's difficult trying to please everyone without looking like "nazi moderators" as we've once been described as. I hope you reconsider and maybe choose to ignore posts that anger you and not give them the attention they crave. Either way the door will always be open to you and we will continue to provide this freedom of speech community and bring our fans together in one place to discuss the club we all adore. You get idiots on every forum so I won't be able to prevent that ever unfortunately.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

draycon
Trialist
Trialist

Post by draycon »

Hey guys, how is everyone. I've been watching this site for around a year now so I can keep up with the latest information, since I've been unable to go to the games for personal and financial reasons, but I wont get in to that.

I hope to have lots of fun here while sporting my rather old torquay shirt, and I hope to post some nice but opinionated comments.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Welcome!

Enjoy the site - get involved with the banter, and try not to take things too personally, we mostly mean well ;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Welcome to the site!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.